1/28 Friday night cook

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
I just put 2 butts on at 5 pm. Snow and ice coming at midnight so I am for a good time. Anyone else going to cook tonight?

DP

Not tonight, but I've got an 11 lb standing rib roast that's going on tomorrow afternoon.
Enjoy your Q!

Joe

Been cooking for 6 hours and the Bullet is holding a steady 230 degrees. No thermo jacket or guru yet, but success is still at hand. The darned thing just works well.

DP

Doing my first tonight, a 5 lb butt Put it on at 1:00PM and it's now 11:45PM. The butt's been stuck at 179 degrees for 4 hrs now and the Weber hasn't been below 240. I neet to get up to 195 for pulled but it doesn't look like I'm going to get there anytime soon. According to the 2 lb per hour measurement this thing should be wrapping up.

Kevin K., yeah they are funny that way, they have their own schedule .... patience! keep your pit temp up and the butt will eventually succumb and yield it's tasty pulled meat.

Now that yer nearly thru the scond plateau, you can always pull it off, foil it, and do an oven finish. Works like a charm if yer in a hurry, and there's no shame in it.

Thanks for the support. I'd like to finish it in the Weber. The Maverick works like a charm and the signal reaches the bedroom. Got the min and max settings so I'll see everyone in the morning.

Oh, well, if morning's an option then by all means keep it going! The good thing about a pork butt is whether your temps soar into the low 300s or drop below 200 while you sleep thru your maverick alarm or just plain old decide to turn it off (that happens sometimes), your butt will likely still turn out just dandy!

You're in for a treat, yessirree.

Well, I just put two turkey breasts in Keribrine for tomorrow. That count?
icon_biggrin.gif

Dale, How is your butt smoke going?

I just rubbed down an 8 lb Brisket to go on at 7 a.m. tomorrow. Also have a 12lb Turkey for the Kettle and gonna smoke some beans and some polish sausage. This is my "I'm sick of winter and turning it loose" weekend. (It helps the wifes on girls weekend also)
icon_biggrin.gif

Brian, there is something to be said about the smell of pork butt in the morning. Smells so good I can hardly wait. I just checked the temps and the WSM was at 225, meat at 174. I love pork butt for breakfast! I gave them a nice spray of a baste I concocted out of canola, apple cider vinegar, and oj.

Q-Do you know what the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the fan?

A-Wont be long now!

DP

It's true---that gorgeous aroma that greets you the morning after an overnight cook is hard to beat! No wonder the neighborhood cats are usually on my doorstep those mornings.

Susan,
I am going to stuff it with some fruit and just cook it indirect right on the grate. Probably add a hunk of apple wood to each side for some smoke.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have a double beer can chicken rack.
I have only used it once. I should probably use it more often as the results were very good.

18 hours gone by and meat temp 175. I opened the vents 100% so I can have pulled pork for a late lunch. These butts are taking their sweet time.
DP

Its man vs butts. You will win the battle. If you have a probe thermo in there though you may want to give it a jiggle or reinsert just to make sure its true.

It only took 20 hours! yak yak..
We ate lunch at 2 and I just finished pulling the rest of the meat just now. Yum is the word for the day in the Perry household. And the bark was excellent. I have cooked butts real fast, and slow "like this time", both are great but the slow cooks pull better IMHO.
DP

Unfortunately those cooking shows really have no idea when it comes to good bbq. Am glad to see a fellow college football officiando on this site.

Back