Unconventional Tools

When I bought this house 25 years ago, previous owner left a tool like this behind. I call it a brake tool, not sure what it is. But I use it about every time I grill/smoke. I use it to adjust hot vents, I can put it between bars on grates and get leverage to pick them up and move them around, as a poker, and other things.

s-l640.jpg

Also known as a Billy Bar. Very handy but I think the brake tool would be a bit cheaper.

http://www.billybar.com

I picked up an old fashioned fireplace shovel ( black stamped steel) for under five bucks for adding coal to the WSM, great tool!

I use the same thing, an old fireplace tool set including the small shovel, that I picked up at a garage sale for $5.

Along the same lines, I use an ice scoop:

ice-scoop-at-surdel-party-rentals.jpg

It does double duty since I store my charcoal in a big dog food container (holds three bags of KBB).

I also use a child's garden hoe, on longer cooks, to move the hot coals around before adding new charcoal.

BD

Along the same lines, I use an ice scoop:

ice-scoop-at-surdel-party-rentals.jpg

It does double duty since I store my charcoal in a big dog food container (holds three bags of KBB).

I also use a child's garden hoe, on longer cooks, to move the hot coals around before adding new charcoal.

BD

Got one of these too, for the same purpose as Bill.

I know your talking unconventional tools but the wok ladle and wok brush should be used for a wok in the traditional sense. Cooking with a wok on the kettle is fantastic. I use a vortex basket with a wok ring on the grate above and can get some fantastic heat going for wok dishes. Besides no oily smoke in the kitchen, just outdoor living.

Back