Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum saves Brisket! was: Emergency brisket help! PICS!

TVWBB Fan
    UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who chimed in and saved me! The brisket actually came out better than any I've done. I would have preferred it be slightly more juicy but it was NOT dry. The smoke ring was pronounced. I ended up foiling at 12 hrs (170) and then cooking another 2 hrs. Amazingly, despite my early suspicions, the flat was tender and very flavorful. A Couple pics.

OK, something is NOT right!

Put a 12 lb. packer about 3 hrs ago and the internal temp is already 160. I'm assuming this is not right, if I foil now I don't see how it's going to take another 9 hrs to reach 185 or so.

The smoker has been running near 250, which is hotter than I like but I still don't understand this internal temp.

Should I be concerned or is this normal?
    FJ
    WSM, Platinum 22 & 18, Weber Q, Smokey Joe.

TVWBB Olympian
    You prob don't have your probe dead center in the brisket. Instead of putting the probe in from top to bottom and trying to judge dead center, put it in from the side and push it into the middle. This way you know it's in the center of the brisket. Also remember you want to measure the temp in the flat not the point since the flat will finish long before the point. HTH
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

TVWBB Fan
    hanks Bryan,

I did make sure to probe in the flat and from the side. To double check I tested again with my Thermapen, got the same reading.

I'm getting worried that supper will be a bust.
    FJ

TVWBB Olympian
    Hmmm, that seems way too fast. You still have the plateau to go through but... 160 in 3 hrs. Is the flat very thin on your packer? Your 250 temp. Is that at the lid or the top grate, and how/what are you using to measure that?

TVWBB Fan
    The flat is typical, over an inch at it's thinnest, but mostly quite thick.

Temp is top grate, Nu-temp probe through eyelet. I've since dropped the temp to the lower 220s'
    FJ

TVWBB Olympian
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FJ Abraham:
    The flat is typical, over an inch at it's thinnest, but mostly quite thick.

Temp is top grate, Nu-temp probe through eyelet. I've since dropped the temp to the lower 220s' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very odd indeed. Well I have 2 of the NU-701's and love em, been very reliable over the years except when I get water into where the wire goes into the probe. They don't take too well to dropping them into a sink full of water. FJ, not sure what to tell you other than no 2 cooks are alike so... Just remember that this is not a typical packer cook, and your next packer cook will prob be a marathon event.

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks Bryan,

It's a bit depressing as it looks now I'll be chucking the whole thing, it'll be like leather at this rate. I'm going to drop the cooker down below 200 and see how long I can hold the brisket below 180, then foil and hope for the best.
    FJ

TVWBB Olympian
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FJ Abraham:
    Thanks Bryan,

It's a bit depressing as it looks now I'll be chucking the whole thing, it'll be like leather at this rate. I'm going to drop the cooker down below 200 and see how long I can hold the brisket below 180, then foil and hope for the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    FJ, you would be better off foiling it at 165 and take the flat to just barely fork tender. Remove the brisket from the WSM and seperate the flat from the point and cool the flat down quickly. Return the point to the WSM to finish or make burnt ends out of it. Then just reheat the flat for dinner. That's you best option at this point IMO.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Thanks Bryan,

It's a bit depressing as it looks now I'll be chucking the whole thing, it'll be like leather at this rate. I'm going to drop the cooker down below 200 and see how long I can hold the brisket below 180, then foil and hope for the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you drag the cook out by dropping the temps you'll have a good shot at 'leather'.

I'm not seeing the cause for concern here. Of course, I cook briskets much higher than 250 so were I to bother to temp I'd expect to see high internals quickly, but 160 in 3 hours at 250 doesn't warrant concern for me. Time is going to be required for rendering to occur and that will happen regardless--no adjustments to cooktemp required at all.

I'd leave it alone. When you see good indications that rendering has occured for a little while then foil it. Extending the cook by lowering the cooktemp is not at all necessary.
    Kevin

TVWBB Wizard
    If it gets done too early, it'll reheat ok.

I agree with kevin, and just let it do it's thing until it's fork tender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast