Cooker too cold!

Adam E

Hey folks, I'm in the midst of cooking a batch of ribs and I can't get the cooker above about 200 deg. I bought the cooker at the end of last season so I'm not real experienced (obviously).

I've added more charcoal, but it's taking a looong time to have any effect. I started with a full chimney and have added at least another half. Outside temp is breezy and 42 deg.

I've got all bottom vents open, but my question is, should I open or close the top for more heat?

Thanks.

You'd want to keep the top vent open. That will help the air get sucked in the bottom vents and out the top, it will cause the coals to ramp up.

Wait a minute...are you talking about opening the top vent or removing the top section?
The top vent should be 100% open at all times when cooking.

Removing the top section will increase the draft, thereby increasing the temp.
Before you do that, invert your access door so that the knob is at the bottom, then get something like a piece of wood, and prop it open an inch or so.

Open the top vent 100% and close the bottom vents. Let the thing stabilize and then crack the bottom vents open a little at a time to bring the temp up. You also may need more charcoal.

if its breezy and 42 you need a wind break of some kind . The wind is stealing the heat outta the cooker .Close your bottom vents .Maybe leave 1 open 25% or so .

Good Luck
Jeff

How old is your charcoal? If it was an open bag from the end of last season, it may be damp. If you put a lit chimney in, you shold not have any issues getting it above 200.

The only time I had a problem geeting the temp past 200 was when I had just bought my cooker. I was trying to be thrifty with the charcoal on short cooks (ribs). On hot, dry days I could do a 7 hour cook with a 3/4 full weber chimney. I started having trouble on cooler, or more humid days. Simply using a full chimney and a handfull of extra biquettes solved the problem.

Do you have your water pan sitting on the charcoal ring? That could cause (and has caused) what you describe.

I think Travis should get a prize. No one before him mentioned checking the thermometer. That should be one of the first things someone does when their temp isn't going as expected. With a chimney and a half in the bowl, the temp should be over 200°. Open all vents and check the thermometer. If you're still not going over 200° then it's time to look for other culprits.

Back