Searing over charcoal ring

jkruger

I have become a real fan of using the WSM to sear by removing the middle section and placing the grate right over the top of the charcoal ring. I did it again yesterday for a couple of tritip's. Get them to a bit below target temp, remove middle, set grate on ring and sear away. I used to fire up a kettle with some lump charcoal for searing, and I've also tried using a grate on a chimney starter with hot coals. Both work well, but using coals you already have going is sure convenient.

I've also really liked it for a nice reverse sear on good steaks. Get the steaks relatively slowly to about 120 and then reverse sear down below. I've done the same on a kettle before, as many do, first indirect and then spread and sear right over the coals. The WSM does a stellar job though, and some times when I'm done I can reassemble the WSM and smoke some cheese or something.

I can't imagine ever being without a couple kettles, but the WSM is sure a diverse piece of cooking gear.

Agree completely! I also pull the top section to reverse sear my tri tips.

I'll cook my tri-tips between 230-260 and pull at 110. After I sear, I like to wrap and place it back on the upper section until I hit my perfect 135-140F, medium rare. It is usually around 120-125F when I put it back on so I have a nice buffer. I never end up with a "too rare" or "too well" outcome from guessing.

The only issue is the temperature spike; it is pretty common for the WSM to push over 300F during that searing phase, but I haven't had any detrimental effect on the finished product.

Agree completely! I also pull the top section to reverse sear my tri tips.

I'll cook my tri-tips between 230-260 and pull at 110. After I sear, I like to wrap and place it back on the upper section until I hit my perfect 135-140F, medium rare. It is usually around 120-125F when I put it back on so I have a nice buffer. I never end up with a "too rare" or "too well" outcome from guessing.

The only issue is the temperature spike; it is pretty common for the WSM to push over 300F during that searing phase, but I haven't had any detrimental effect on the finished product.

Depending on time, I some times cook my tritip at 350 with no water pan or fire dial until it's about 125, and then sear for 5 minutes over the ring, flipping it fairly frequently. It usually ends up right around 130, which is where my family likes it. With more time I do it pretty much like you outlined.

I do it all the time ;)
I got the 14" WSM and it's a good size for grilling for up to 2 or 3 people

Back