California > Livermore: French Dips & More

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
French Dips & More
2181 First St.
Livermore, CA 94550

Have you ever gone out to eat at one place but ended up eating at another? Have you ever showed up at the right address, ordered your food, gotten halfway through your meal, and learned that you're not at the restaurant you thought were at? Yet you're eating the food you expected to be eating?

Confused?

Well, I was confused yesterday when I drove to Livermore, CA to have lunch at Mario's French Dips at 2181 First St. but ended up having lunch at French Dips & More at 2181 First St.

I saw the Mario's food truck at the Clayton BBQ Cookoff where I recently judged barbecue. They were pumping out good looking sandwiches, so I thought I'd visit their brick and mortar location in Livermore. I found the location, ordered my lunch, got halfway through the meal, then overheard the server saying something about the restaurant changing hands about 6 weeks ago. It was only then that I realized "Mario's" had been removed from the signage on the building.

Apparently, Mario dropped the brick and mortar location to focus on the food truck.

As it turns out, the new owner and his sister have not changed much about the place, including the menu. They're still serving prime rib, tri-tip, turkey, pork loin, pulled pork, corned beef, and pastrami French dips. They're still serving fries and rings made 10 ways. They've still got a bunch of burgers and salads.

I had a prime rib dip, a generous amount of medium-rare meat on a soft, crusty roll that really absorbed the au jus. The au jus was a bit bland and needed more salt, which I added. I forgot to ask for horseradish sauce...none was offered by the waiter. No complaint about the fries--hot and crispy.

It was a pretty good experience. Just no Mario...I'm still looking for him.

Here are a few photos from my visit. Enjoy!

PQSQk1z.jpg

First St. in downtown Livermore. Parking is always a challenge, bring your patience. The lot bounded by South L St, First St, South Livermore Ave, and Railroad Ave is always a good bet.

KbdHrwJ.jpg

It looks like Mario's, but it's not.

zJNGDKK.jpg

They've got French Dips & More...but no Mario.

E3btDcY.jpg

Apparently not much has changed on the inside.

gmlkGII.jpg

And I'm told the sandwiches haven't changed much, either.

ooNe9kF.jpg

The prime rib was sliced super-thin.

Back