"Professional Conversion" from LP to NG - NOT

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
The 2007 Genesis I just got off of OfferUp was allegedly "professionally converted" from LP to NG. It appears that the conversion only involved putting a NG whip hose on the manifold! Three of the flavorizer bars were distorted and wavy with yellow residue on the underside and the other two were regular vee shaped. Looking at the orifices, they don't like they were exchanged or drilled out. I compared them with the LP manifold I still had for emergency conversion and they appear to be the same unlike my existing NG manifold. Definitely, NOT the way to convert! Fortunately, he always cooked with the lid up so the firebox and lid are square. Fortunately, my main goal was to get spare parts for our two 2007 Genesis, plus I finally got my blue doors and lid. SS Grates and warming rack are in the cleanup mode a little at a time-no rush. Also have not cleaned the SS drip pan, but it looks good.

Weber doesn't do converstions.... I think whoever the guy paid ripped him off. The distorted flavor bars I think are from too much heat. I'm kind of hoping that Larry, Jon, or Bruce will confirm this for me. I'll eventually straighten them out some. I've got plenty of flavor bars new SS, New painted and now used. I'm letting my existing grill cool down now. I've been baking the SS grates, warming rack and drip pan at max heat for about 4 hours. They come out almost as good as a self-cleaning cycle on a household oven.

If you use those cheap 20 gauge flavorizer bars, they will warp if used at high heat on normal functioning grill. But, clearly, the Dan's grill was not converted correctly.

Thanks Bruce. That is what I suspected. My original bars from 2007 are still straight, a little rusty in spots, but no holes. Cleaning the blue lid right now. Doors washed right up and are ready to mount. A project for the morning before it gets too hot.

If it was converted from LP to NG but the orifices are the same size as LP, then the grill won%u2019t get hot enough. NG needs larger orifices. So I don%u2019t think that would be why stuff got warped.

Exactly. If you take an LP grill and throw a NG hose on it the grill will never heat up and will only actually get flames if it's kept on "high". It takes about twice the gas volume on NG than it does on LP. Two reasons. LP is about twice as dense (BTU/Energy content) and also runs close to twice the pressure as well. So orifices and valves need to be sized accordingly

Bill & Larry:
Thanks for the clarifications. I'll have to check out the orifice sizes when I get a chance down the road. I'm now guessing that whoever did the conversion must have incorrectly made the drill size too big based on the damage to the flavor bars.

- - - Updated - - -

Bill & Larry:
Thanks for the clarifications. I'll have to check out the orifice sizes when I get a chance down the road. I'm now guessing that whoever did the conversion must have incorrectly made the drill size too big based on the damage to the flavor bars.

Back