Prime Ribeyes

2 prime ribeyes
f1kimGn.jpg

Weber Performer, 550 degrees, 3 minutes each side, then indirect heat to internal temp of 120.
R8Oefji.jpg

Perfect med-rare w/sauteed mushrooms and Greek olive salad.
woc56HC.jpg

Prime (?) ribeyes

2 prime ribeyes
f1kimGn.jpg

Weber Performer, 550 degrees, 3 minutes each side, then indirect heat to internal temp of 120.
R8Oefji.jpg

Perfect med-rare w/sauteed mushrooms and Greek olive salad.
woc56HC.jpg

I'm a fan of grilling steaks and serving with grilled vegetables, particularly with a glass of red wine. But I must question if they ribeyes were really prime. The prime strip steaks I buy have much more marbling. Had some from Big Y in central Conn (this is a surprise for a supermarket) that were as marbled as any I've bought. Excellent. But if you were happy with the ribeyes GOOD

Lookin really good to me. Though on thicker ribeyes like this I do the reverse searing method preferring a low slow finishing at high heat. Our Sam's Club has begin selling what they "call" "Prime" grade meat but I think they're BSing the public. IMO they're only selling a higher choice grade. There is a butcher (a real butcher) by my dad's house in Arlington Heights IL called Thuringer Meat Market https://www.thuringermeats.com/ and I am here to tell you the crap they're calling Prime at Sam's is NOT true Prime. When you eat one of Thuringer's ribeyes they simply melt in your mouth. No gristle, hell not even a need for a steak knife they cut fine with a butter knife. Sam's stuff in comparison is awful. Huge chunks of inedible gristle, tough stringy meat and tons of useless fat. Now sure when I buy meat near my dad's I pay a lot. Those Prime steaks cost about $17 a pound. But I get a pound of eating from them rather than the half pound from Sam's. I cannot wait to see how Costco's Prime measures up to Sam's once they open here in August

But I must question if they ribeyes were really prime.

USDA requires meat gradings of Choice, Select, and Prime. Prime is graded if it meets the minimum fat content/marbling. They probably just made the grade, as I too have seen more marbling in some Prime, but there is indeed a range. These came from Giant Eagle.

But dont get me started on marbling, I regularly get Waygu steaks from Snake River Farms.

Nothing wrong with old school. Some folks like a little gray band around the perimeter of a steak for contrast. I would eat that steak all day along and twice on Sunday! :D

I’ve been on a “Cap Steak” jag from the Prime cooler at Costco lately, my wife’s son and I like them rare, the women want me to doubly kill the cow and it really is hard for me to do that to a fine piece of beef!
I allow myself a few truly fabulous steaks a couple of times a year. One is coming at the end of the month when Lucullus will dine with Lucullus alone at the cottage with a nice ribeye from John at Plaths in Rogers City maybe some grilled zucchini and a bottle of red wine after a scotch while cooking.
The next will be for my birthday, I’m thinking Prime tomahawks for that in August.

Back