Summit E-470

ScottSmk

After 6 years of enjoying my Spirit, I’m ready to upgrade to a larger, more featured grill. I’ve been wanting a new e-470 for quite some time and was about to pull the trigger until I read posts about the firebox that cracks and rusts in what sounds like only a few years. Am I being paranoid or can I expect 8-10 years of solid performance from a new E-470? The new special edition genesis II grills look great as well for a lot less (and supposedly better firebox) but the rotisserie burner and much quicker preheat times of the summit are really what I’m after.

I know many here are into modding and restoring older (and better built grills) but I am wanting to get a brand new model for warranty purposes.

Thanks for any feedback.

The 470 should be ok that long. The huge advantage it will have over the Genesis is the rear mounted rotisserie burner. If you're into rotisserie cooking it will be invaluable as doing rotisserie without it on a new style Genesis is an exercise in wasting time and money. Mind you it will be costly though and I would highly recommend checking other options out from other companies with those features i.e. Napoleon and others which may be more competitive in pricing than Weber

The E-470 is a nice grill but yah, the bottom cabinet is made of cheap steel and that's where the trouble may be later on because I believe it's made with the same steel as the previous Genesis grills and we all know they can become rust buckets. Just take good care of it and it should serve you well but like LM said, check out other makes and models as there are better ones out there in the same price range.

I love my E-470, for what it’s worth. It’s good on gas, fires right up, has a rotisserie, sideburner, lighted handles, and the cabinet storage is good. I’ve only had it a few months, but I love it and plan on using it for many years to come.

I am sure these grills are great when new. I know I have used some strong negative language to describe them. I don't at all mean to offend those who have one. My comments are only based on the wrecks I have come across after just a few years of use of a used-car priced grill:mad:.

Wg9hyRM.jpg

242j1pl.jpg

2le45ki.jpg

I think you just have to invest a lot of effort into keeping up with cleaning and stomping out any rust that might start. Wax all that metal heavily. Keep it dry. Best would be inside a garage - not out on a deck, etc. IMPORTANT: Keep a sharp eye on the firebox, especially the front where the burners go through. If it starts cracking, it will rust. Make a warranty call right away!

If you are willing to go the extra mile, then hopefully one of these will last for you.

I think on a wooden deck the cabinet rust would not be so bad. On concrete though it would be really bad. Because any time you put metal near concrete (especially damp concrete) the metal will corrode faster than you can say "oh s&*t!" But wood does not have that issue

Really appreciate the feedback you all provided. I’m going to hold off on the E-470 and either look at a genesis 2 SE335/330 as my main workhorse or look at other options that have rotisserie burner. I grill almost 5 days a week so durability is a major factor for me to consider. Hopefully the next generation of summit grills addresses that fire box issue.

Scott,

If you are willing to go with some restoration work one to seriously consider is an earlier Genesis 300 series grill with the burner controls on the side and burners running lengthwise (E-W), nick-named here "Sidewinder". It looks more modern but still has the burners in the right configuration for rotisserie while offering the durability of a cast aluminum firebox. The big problem on these is the cabinet is subject to rust just like the current Summits.

Most of us here would love to convince you to rehab (or buy a rehabbed) classic Genesis with an open cart, E-W burners and rugged construction. A perfect rotisserie grill that will last.

Scott, have you checked this one out?

https://amazingribs.com/grill-drop-ins/lynx-30-freestanding-all-sear-grill-and-rotisserie-review

Pretty pricey but this looks like a serious machine and this is more like a stallion than a workhorse!

That is essentially the same grill that I picked up to restore. Mine only has a rear and one bottom main sear burner plus two massive cast brass main burners. Otherwise, the body and design are all the same. It IS heavy and all 304 stainless. If you want to take a Florida trip this fall, I am sure I can beat that new price by a long stretch with a nicely restored one;).

I think on a wooden deck the cabinet rust would not be so bad. On concrete though it would be really bad. Because any time you put metal near concrete (especially damp concrete) the metal will corrode faster than you can say "oh s&*t!" But wood does not have that issue

Same for car batteries. Always set them on wood, not cement.

Have never been a fan of using ceramic IR burners in this manner. They really were meant for being above or behind the food

Yeah, Larry, I am not too sure it is a very good idea, but it seems to sell. That was one thing I was impressed by in the small TEC grill I flipped. It had a sheet of high heat glass between the infrared burner and grates. Anything that hit the glass incinerated almost immediately while the burner was completely protected and still looked almost new.

I had to buy a replacement infrared for use in restoring that Lynx. The original still lit but was in terrible visual condition detracting a lot from the appearance of the grill.

Back