Thread: Match lighting charcoal is nasty....

Match lighting charcoal is nasty....

With one of my recent used kettle purchases came a bag of match lighting charcoal. I never used that stuff and just smelling at the bag is nasty. Do people really like to grill with that stuff??? It is disgusting. I might use it up for my dutch ovens where it does not get in touch with the food but I would never ever grill food with it.
    Blue Genesis Platinum, Green Performer, Crimson One-Touch Premium, Fuchsia Q1200, 22" Kettle and a waiting for restoration.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I used to love the light the bag stuff when I didn't know any better. Yeah, that stuff is pretty nasty though but I bet if you let it get good and lit, it burns most of it off.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Super Fan
    I guess it might be useful if you used just a few briquettes as fire starter cubes for lighting a chimney, but that would be about it.
    Genesis EP-320 - steel gray (2010 model), Chargriller Super Pro, 22.5 OTG, 2014 Performer (Copper), 2014 Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel smoker, 18.5" WSM

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Cliff Bartlett's Avatar
    Can't stand the smell. I've never used them.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB Fan
    Smells and tastes like charcoal starter fluid. Bought a bag once ages ago, just before I discovered the chimneys.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I used to use it back in the day. My uneducated palette never knew the difference. But then again, I'd let it fully ash over before Grilling. Would I use it nowadays? Nope.