Water pan directly up against lower grate - 22"

I just picked up a 22" WSM, and I'm surprised at how the lower grate basically sits directly on the water pan. Versus my 18" where there is a bit of an air gap.

I don't use water, and with my 18" I used a tray to cover the water pan. I don't think that will work on the 22", as there will be effectively zero space between the tray and the lower grate.

So, what's the solution? I feel like I need some thermal mass between the fire and the lower grate, but I don't want it directly up against the grate.

All I can say is you are right. I've had my 22" for a little over 3 years and had to go look at it, lol. Only once have I used both grates while smoking. So this makes me unqualified to offer a solution but I always use aluminum foil over my [dry] water pans. I don't shape the foil to conform to the bowl; I merely create a concave shape, leaving some dead air space between the foil and pan bottom.

I am not convinced that some thermal mass is required. You might enjoy this read: http://virtualweberbullet.com/temptest.html. And keep in mind that some folks hang meat (ribs, etc.) in their WSM's with amazing cooking evenness.

I actually have a rib hanging set up arriving tomorrow.

Regarding thermal mass, I don't move my smokers around that much, so even if it only helps a tiny bit I still think it's worth it. I use a couple pounds of ceramic briquettes with the pan (covered in foil) on top. It makes clean up super super easy, even if grease gets past the foil I can just wipe down the pan.. IE no risk of grease getting on the ceramic briquettes.

I have a different question related to use of the water pan. I have an 18" WSM and unless I am using a hanging rib rack, always use my water pan (foiled). My question is this........might it be acceptable to use a rectangular disposable foil pan on the bottom rack instead of the water pan and simply discard after the cook? Clean-up would be so much easier.

I have a different question related to use of the water pan. I have an 18" WSM and unless I am using a hanging rib rack, always use my water pan (foiled). My question is this........might it be acceptable to use a rectangular disposable foil pan on the bottom rack instead of the water pan and simply discard after the cook? Clean-up would be so much easier.

Sure, the water pan does act as a heat deflector/baffle so the use of both might be better, or you can just go with the foil pan and see how that works.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. If the experiment does not work, it will certainly not have been the first time a cook of mine went awry! While the dimensions of the foil pan might not match up with those of the water pan, the foil pan will still act as a modified heat deflector.

I've read that one of the main reasons for hanging is to allow the drippings to hit the coals. I know my preferred method for ribs is without any pan/etc at all

I've read that one of the main reasons for hanging is to allow the drippings to hit the coals. I know my preferred method for ribs is without any pan/etc at all

Its a different taste/and smell
I wasnt too crazy about it
Kind of like a touch of burnt fat

Back