Thread: Griddle or grate

Griddle or grate

Hello all. I stumbled on these 2 items for the Q and was wondering...would it be better to use the Q as a griddle or a grill?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...JD5XY4/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1ZSC5S/tvwb-20

If anything, any one of those would be a better replacement than the grate that comes with the Q as they would last longer.
    22" Kettle Premium | 26" Kettle Premium | '00-'01 Genesis Platinum C, 13 bar (Budweiser) | '05 Genesis Platinum C (open cart) | Q1200

I could imagine the griddle for stuff like eggs or bacon. Any stuff you can't or don't want to place on a grate drectly. However a few concerns:
    - The Q1000 is small and a griddle on half that cooking surface does not provide much space.
    - No lip around that griddle which would catch any grease or liquids of stuff you throw on there. If making bacon you will end up with a very messy grill.
    - Also I would not cover both sides with a griddle because this traps too much heat in the lower half of that grill. I am afraid this will cause damage on the grill if the heat cannot escape.

I personally would go with that grate. If I need a griddle I would get a small cast iron one with a lip which I could place on top of the grates.
    Blue Genesis Platinum, Green Performer, Crimson One-Touch Premium, Fuchsia Q1200, 22" Kettle and a waiting for restoration.

Sam,

I have the old cast iron griddle (Weber 6505) that goes the width of the Q200/2000 but leaves enough space for the grill to still breathe. It just lays on top of the regular grates. I like it because you can cook a bunch of bacon/sausage or other greasy stuff outside instead of messing up the kitchen. The design lets you do a fair amount of stuff - more, I think, than a half piece:

https://www.google.com/search?q=webe...BPn-mfe56AWlM:
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Jon, I agree. This is probably a much better solution. Occasionally one can get lucky and find these discontinued items on eBay. The made one for the Q100/1000 and one for the Q200/2000.
    And I think they are still being sold in Europe.

Thanks for your input guys, I will go with the grate.
    22" Kettle Premium | 26" Kettle Premium | '00-'01 Genesis Platinum C, 13 bar (Budweiser) | '05 Genesis Platinum C (open cart) | Q1200

Hey, sam, post back and let us know how that SS grate works out for you. It looks very intriguing.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Will do Bruce, it may be awhile though as I have some Genesis grills to rehab first then the Q.

Sam, I have several Q's laying around but a big back log of Silver B's and 1000's that need attention first. I will probably not get to the Q grills for a month or two.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

If I had to pick - grill for sure. I have the older style griddle which has a lip to direct grease which is placed on top of the grates. I like it a lot. One thing to keep in mind is you need some airflow up from the bottom - this is why the weber griddles are notched so you can put two in there. There some aftermarket products which cover the entire surface solid, I would be concerned about blocking airflow