Battery acid and Virtual Weber Bullet t-shirts

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
...don't mix. I'll be replacing one of my long sleeve t-shirts along with a practically new pair of jeans.

a timely warning for me - found a dead battery in a backup vehicle yesterday & the charger has had it it a desulfation mode (it was down to 5 VDC so I'm not hopeful) since last night. I'll probably be replacing it soon.

How did you contact battery acid. I haven’t seen anything but a sealed battery in a long time. Though, a long time ago, I did have the same thing happen. Battery acid is pretty strong.

How did you contact battery acid. I haven’t seen anything but a sealed battery in a long time. Though, a long time ago, I did have the same thing happen. Battery acid is pretty strong.
Cheap motorcycle battery where you fill it yourself. Filler tube got caught inside one of the cells then released. Acted like a slingshot.

For a while I did maintenance and water filling on forklift, pallet jack batteries. My clothes look like Swiss cheese.

Way back in 1979, a friend was jumping my father's car off with the friend's car, and when he made the final cable connection, sparking happened, and my father's battery exploded.

Our friend ran to a nearby water fountain to flush his eyes, and then he drove himself to the ER.

I was standing further back when the explosion occurred, and I though I was OK - until the next day with my jeans began to fall apart in places. :eek:

Good going. I pretty much always have safety glasses on when working around the house (mostly outside work). I make my grandsons wear them also (mostly mowing). Hard to find decent small safety glasses. Good work gloves are hard to find too for small hands.

Tried to order a replacement for my holey shirt and...They aren't available! Say it ain't so!

For a while I did maintenance and water filling on forklift, pallet jack batteries. My clothes look like Swiss cheese.

Last Sunday I had to fill a deep cycle marine battery I put in the back of our newest work van to power a big inverter. The battery started making popping sounds while under load, I'd intended to check the levels earlier, but after only 7 months, each cell took 3oz of distilled water. I filled with a turkey baster. I'm guessing the popping sounds are what generate the dangerous hydrogen gas. Kind of makes me want to get an AGM batt (@ >3x the cost) so I don't have to worry about it.

Cheap motorcycle battery where you fill it yourself. Filler tube got caught inside one of the cells then released. Acted like a slingshot.

I've done > a few of those for my motorcycles, they're typically AGM, at least the ones I've chosen (3-4 Yuasa & another couple oddballs).

Them jeans are probably still good... At least by todays teanage standards. Except teens today wear "cut-up" jeans - they're to... what's the word I'm looking for... lazy(?) to wear broken in jeans with holes "worn" into 'em. Even by battery acid.

Hopefully going back into the battery business in September. Had been in it since 1995.
People ask how my uniforms aren’t full of holes.
Easy. Polyester.
My uniforms are 65% polyester/35% cotton.
Now, my socks, underwear and t-shirts are a whole different story!

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully going back into the battery business in September. Had been in it since 1995.
People ask how my uniforms aren’t full of holes.
Easy. Polyester.
My uniforms are 65% polyester/35% cotton.
Now, my socks, underwear and t-shirts are a whole different story!

I've done > a few of those for my motorcycles, they're typically AGM, at least the ones I've chosen (3-4 Yuasa & another couple oddballs).

I started using AGM batteries on my motorcycles about 5 years ago and never looked back. They are well worth it IMHO, if nothing else keep from having to fill them like the OP was doing.

OP glad it wasn't wany worse. I've had a few battery acid catastrophes back in the day, thankfully none of them serious.

Back