Smoked Goose.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I'm thinking on smoking one but have only done breasts before. A few recipes I found call for a 3 day marinade and scalding piercing the skin, is that really necessary?

Tim

Geese can be a challenge in the smoker. I've tried three and only one came out worth a hoot. Roasted with kraut and dumplings for me from now on.

Yes, it is a very good idea, also a large capacity fat boat!
Not,so much the three day marinade or scald, that’s most likely for wild Canada geese. Domestically raised geese will benefit from the piercing to allow for grease release.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to cook one for Christmas. My wife keeps shooting it down and they are expensive. Also, I'd probably f it up.

We had one every year for Christmas when I was growing up. I preferred it over the turkey and ham. My grandma must have known the secret. Unfortunately, it was not passed down.

My grandmother was a goose fan, both wild and domestic, I’ve done a few, they’re different but, not difficult, you won’t have any problem Dustin, you know what you’re doing!
Grandma also especially liked cooking popcorn in goose fat! I remember the stuff being beautifully silky white.
Go for it!

Back