Grill Got Moldy!

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I recently restored an old Genesis 1000. I've been using it pretty often, and it works great. I went to use it yesterday for the first time in about two weeks. When I uncovered and opened it, the inside was covered in mold (didn't take a picture). I fired it up for about 20 minutes just to kill anything in there. Looks like it's going to need a deep cleaning before cooking on it again though. Anyone ever experience this and have any cleaning recommendations?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, Larry. Also, turns out I did take a picture.
gJY68rL.jpg

I've seen that on my own. I just got them good and hot and brushed them down well and reoiled the grates. Another trick you can use................get the grill really hot and get an old towel. Wet it and wipe the grates down. The steam will blast it all off too

I have had it happen more than once in a Green Egg. I agree with the remedy Larry suggested. Grills make a good moisture trap, and the Egg is especially well sealed. I found if I burn off and clean out well after use this is less likely to reoccurr.

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. When I lived in Cape Cod 1/2 mile from the ocean might have left the area for a few weeks not used the grill never had anything like that. Is it covered?

ATL way more humidity to grow mold not seen that down here either even if I went 3 weeks which happens cause I have a performer also.

I have had it happen more than once in a Green Egg. I agree with the remedy Larry suggested. Grills make a good moisture trap, and the Egg is especially well sealed. I found if I burn off and clean out well after use this is less likely to reoccurr.

Jon I get that with the egg the way its sealed in our type of climates but its not like a 1000 is airtight. Never seen anything like that before but both you and Larry have seen in the past so not doubting it happens.

H it almost seem there is mold by the picture on the inside edges of the firebox also. If it were me I would run that grill at high heat for at least 15-20 minutes then brush the grates down. Take the bars out after they cool wire brush those do so on the firebox and start clean from there.

Looks like the mold grew on 12 spots on the grates, so whatever you were grilling last, must of left a lot of moisture or residue that promotes mold.
Gassers are like self cleaning ovens, just burn it and brush it.

Tim

Jon I get that with the egg the way its sealed in our type of climates but its not like a 1000 is airtight. Never seen anything like that before but both you and Larry have seen in the past so not doubting it happens.

I can’t really identify a specific cause for why there is mold one time and not another. I don’t recall having this happen in a Weber, but maybe. I have assumed that as has been suggested that certain foods or circumstances when they were cooked are to blame. As I mentioned, a hot burn-off and clean out does seem to be a good preventative - at least in the Green Egg.

Back