Firebox Distortion - has anyone seen this?

V Barkley

The Firebox on my 2005 Genesis Silver C appears to be distorted. Both the front edge and rear edge are slightly bowed outward, each edge about 1/8".

This makes the grates fit loosely in the center of the grill. I assume this distortion is from metal creep over time at high temperature.

Has anyone else seen this?

I am considering heating the grill, using structural steel rails to gently bow the firebox straight and then letting the firebox cool down.

I'll probably have to bow the sides somewhat beyond straight to account for spring back.

Thank you

It happens to them when there has been a very bad grease fire. I have seen them so bad they could barely hold a set of grates. I guess the casting is under some kind of static "tension" and when heat reaches catastrophic levels the box will bow out.

The one I refurbished a few weeks ago is the same on the front. The good thing: There are plenty of donor grills out there in case it gets too bad.

I brought one back in using some trigger clamps. Absolutely nerve wracking. Kept tightening the screws expecting to hear a snap at any point.

My personal Genesis 1000 has some slight buldging. Nothing that affects operation however.

My Sunbeam caught fire a few times, but I never saw any firebox distortion.

Maybe a good idea to keep a CO2 extinguisher on hand for such occasions?

Yeah I guess. But also a simple spritz bottle is fine. A fine mist will do the truck on most fires in there.

My 2007 Genesis (NG) has some distortion due to an error I made about a year after I got the grill. Once done grilling while eating, I let the grill run on high to burn off residue until after supper. One night, I forgot to turn it off. It ran full tilt for close to 15 hours before I noticed it was on. I let it cool down on it's own, but the the front was bowed. Lid still closed fine. My cast iron grates still catch the lips, but I think at some point down the road, I may have to bolt in some stock on the rear side to keep things working. Eight years later, the distance between front and rear has only slightly increased for frequent use, year around.

Once done grilling while eating, I let the grill run on high to burn off residue until after supper. One night, I forgot to turn it off. It ran full tilt for close to 15 hours before I noticed it was on. I let it cool down on it's own, but the the front was bowed.

Some grill manufacturers recommend that (including Sunbeam - my old grill) to carbonize the grease residue. I started doing that with my 2000 Genesis, but the grease took longer to carbonize, so I gave up to save gas. I now use a degreaser to clean my grates.

Back