Already spent my winnings from last weekend...

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
on a new set of grates from RCplanebuyer. They came in last night. Really heavy grates. I am replacing a set of almost new enameled cast iron grates which I really like. But these will chip sooner or later like my last ones did. So I rather put them aside now as long as they can still be sold in one of the grills I might flip. Once chipped they become kind of useless.

34509903_10211941645200096_4635900777754263552_n.jpg

Sounds like an option I need to shoot for.

I have the standard porcelain-coated grilling surfaces, and I had thought about replacing them with cast iron, but maybe not if they are going to chip.

We used to make stainless parts very similar to the flavorizer bars for screening industry. I could have made a killing selling the scrap pieces for Weber gas grill users.

Great modification, Stefan!

I have the standard porcelain-coated grilling surfaces, and I had thought about replacing them with cast iron, but maybe not if they are going to chip.

We used to make stainless parts very similar to the flavorizer bars for screening industry. I could have made a killing selling the scrap pieces for Weber gas grill users.

There is a 20% off coupon on ebay going on now and ends early this evening. Now would be the best time to take advantage if you want to get RCplanebuyer grates and bars.

I had a set of enameled cast iron grates for about 10 years. I loved them but a few years ago they started chipping and it got worse over the years. So I decided to move to the solid stainless steel grates. The channel formed stainless steel grates from Weber are useless. They are thin and eventually will rust and bend. I just restored two older Weber Gold and was able to kind of restore one pair of grates but had to trash the other.

Rusty,

I agree about the porcelain plated cast iron and am also not an enthusiastic fan of the flat stainless. I think they are hard to clean and they do decline with use.

I am still experimenting with grates and still hope to do an “objective” comparison video/write-up sometime this summer. In the meantime, here are three obvious choices:

Stainless rods are the clear choice for long life and easier maintenance. No one I have seen can equal the ones rcplanebuyer makes. They are justifiably pricey due to the high grade materials and weight for shipping. Bruce has pointed out a very decent set you can get on Amazon for a whole lot less. They are thinner and spaced a little farther but they are not cheap flimsy grates and the spacing is not excessive.

I love cast iron. For me the choice is getting an old set of the ORIGINAL Weber unplated cast iron. I have two sets that I have cleaned up and they are still extremely solid. Some people argue that they are too much work or even impossible to keep from rusting out. Even in my humid salt air Florida environment, I haven’t found that to be the case. I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Here is a picture of my set with perforated aluminum sheets underneath to mimick the effect of GrillGrates:

xnf2ua.jpg

Speaking of GrillGrates, I would consider this to be the third good option however controversial. There are sharply conflicting opinions about whether it is safe to grill on anodized aluminum. Of the arguments against GrillGrates (price, gimmicky, etc.) this is the only one that is serious. From my research to date, most sources do not believe there is any risk. I am not an expert and others feel very strongly otherwise.

As far as grilling experience goes, I LOVE GrillGrates and have yet to have a bad grilling experience with them. I am not ready to proclaim any winners in my comparison but GrillGrates do perform extraordinary well in my opinion:

zti6bn.jpg

30vjbq9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, Stefan, Jon!

After a long hiatus, I am getting back in gas grilling and having a good time doing so. Nice chops & steaks too!

Speaking of the GrillGrates, didn't I see a set on America's Test Kitchen whenever they grilled with gas?

EDIT: I wonder if Lodge makes aftermarket grates for Weber grills?

Back