Trouble Attaching Rotodamper to XL BGE

I used a regular piece of sheet metal from Lowes and cut an 80mm x 50mm rectangle out of it. I don't know what gauge it is, but it is 0.47mm thick-- about 1/3rd the thickness of that plate. Because it is only 50mm wide and the metal is thin, it doesn't need to be curved to fit into the channel and fits right in (lifting it into the top channel first because it is a little bigger). This is on a regular Large BGE but I assume it is the same on the XL.

I used a regular piece of sheet metal from Lowes and cut an 80mm x 50mm rectangle out of it. I don't know what gauge it is, but it is 0.47mm thick-- about 1/3rd the thickness of that plate. Because it is only 50mm wide and the metal is thin, it doesn't need to be curved to fit into the channel and fits right in (lifting it into the top channel first because it is a little bigger). This is on a regular Large BGE but I assume it is the same on the XL.

Thanks Bryan! I actually used a cheap baking pan from walmart and tin snips. Works great!

Now here's something strange... twice today so far... the Heatermeter will "freeze up" and not show any of the probes plugged into it. I cycle the power and it sees everything again and starts outputting with the fan.

The first time it did this the Servo pulse duration went back to the default and I didn't catch it. I ended up going to sleep for a couple hours and the egg got to about 400°F because even though the fan was off, the damper was about 25% open. Not sure for how long.

The second time this just happened and the Servo values stayed the same when I cycled the power.

Weird...

Eerrrr that sounds like something drastically bad happening. The HeaterMeter runs independently of the Pi so it should be rock solid despite any software weirdness happening on the Pi or something crashing there or losing network connectivity. If the HeaterMeter locks up to the point it stops at whatever output it was at and not show any probes attached on the display, something is horribly horribly wrong in hardware causing something to completely affect the microcontroller's physical operation. Or are you saying that just the webui wasn't working?

The servo losing its configuration is pretty odd too, because the only way it could reset to default is if the EEPROM became corrupted on the microcontroller and it had to reset itself to the defaults, which is everything on the configuration page. Although if the microcontroller is locking up for some reason, which would likely be power-spike related, it definitely could also reset the EEPROM as one of the symptoms.

Eerrrr that sounds like something drastically bad happening. The HeaterMeter runs independently of the Pi so it should be rock solid despite any software weirdness happening on the Pi or something crashing there or losing network connectivity. If the HeaterMeter locks up to the point it stops at whatever output it was at and not show any probes attached on the display, something is horribly horribly wrong in hardware causing something to completely affect the microcontroller's physical operation. Or are you saying that just the webui wasn't working?

The servo losing its configuration is pretty odd too, because the only way it could reset to default is if the EEPROM became corrupted on the microcontroller and it had to reset itself to the defaults, which is everything on the configuration page. Although if the microcontroller is locking up for some reason, which would likely be power-spike related, it definitely could also reset the EEPROM as one of the symptoms.

Bryan thanks for the input. I believe the actual heatermeter has taken a crap on me. I can't remember what the output was doing, but none of the probe inputs were reading. No thermocouple or probe 1 or 2.

I can log into the WebUI and see the Uptime it's been turned on.

Now the LCD screen isn't lighting up when I power it on. I AM getting all 3 LED's on the front to light up (green/yellow/red). I logged into the WebUI and noticed a couple things you might find helpful.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further? It's looking like I'm going to cook ribs old school this weekend.

24ky3c4.png

Normally the alarm Thresholds show up from the previous cook. They are all blank.

2z5pzpc.png

Last edited:
That does look like your HM board crapped out. I would pull it from the rPi and start by checking voltages on the HM board, 12v, 5v, 3.3v to make sure power is right to start off. If you find the power is good I would look at the ATMega socket for bad solder and make sure the chip is seated properly in the socket. There are some voltage charts available that may be helpful to narrow down where the issue may be if you have to go further than that.

Back