Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Instant Pot Advice

I don't measure anything lol. I just throw some in and soak it a bit than wash it. Another trick you can try (I haven't) is to stick it in the dishwasher. I know it won't go over the temps the gasket is designed for

TVWBB Super Fan
    A couple things addressed here. Power usage... Yesterday I made carnitas in the IP. I've had some issues with pressurizing the pot when I just throw everything in and turn it on so I first heated the liquid to boiling then added onion and citrus chunks, then added meat. The lid didn't seal properly the first time so the pre-pressurized time was considerably longer. I'd guess close to an hour total before it came to pressure, 35 minutes at pressure, then 30 minutes natural pressure release, during which time I assume the heating element was off. When I finally opened the lid and removed the pork and Kill-A-Watt said 0.75kWH used. I then tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to reduce the cooking liquid on saute-high. That burned up another 0.50kWH. Next time I'll put the liquid in a wide saute pan and reduce it on the stove, but that's a different topic.

Second item, sealing ring stinkage... I had theorized that vacuum sealing the ring would pull the odor from the ring. I had it under vacuum for a bit over 24 hours. It clearly still had an odor, but my impression was that it was significantly reduced from what it had been. I'll have to experiment with this some more. One big plus, however, was that the vacuum bag kept the odor fully contained. So even if it doesn't totally remove the odor, at the very least it's a viable storage method that will keep the ring from stinking up the kitchen. Perhaps a simple Zip-Loc would do the same as far as containing the odor.

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    odours still seep out of zip loc freezer bags. Depending on how bad the smell is, it may not matter to the "public nose" .

I've come to the conclusion that it's only getting used for spicy flavourful stuff so it doesn't really matter. Beef stew, spare ribs and now Jamaican Goat Curry. It's all good!

If a successful method comes along, fine. Not worrying about this anymore.
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 01-21-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    I got some spare sealing rings for the IP so I decided to try pressure cooking the stinky ring. I just shoved the ring down into the pot as far as it would go and added water to cover. I set it for 3 hours of high pressure and let it naturally depressurize afterwards. This did not meet with complete success. The ring still had a noticeable odor, though it was not as strong as at the start. I should add the kitchen smelled very much like the pasta sauce I cooked in the IP last night so I have to think something came out of the ring. Speaking of which, there was a fair bit of white residue of some kind in the bottom of the pot when I opened it. No idea what it was but it had to have come from the sealing ring. Since I didn't let it go the full 6 hours recommended in the tip I read, perhaps the additional time is actually needed.

The IP used 0.55kWH, about 0.30kWH of which was used bringing the water to a boil at the start. It would seem to be quite efficient maintaining pressure once it's achieved. Extrapolating, the full six hour pressure cook for the ring would have used 0.80kWH. About $0.20 where I live.

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    It may just be salts, minerals, whatever leaching out of the water as it boils (scale, just like in a kettle).

Got my cheap(er) replacement clear ring from China. It's a smidge smaller than the OE one (won't rotate when installed) but it passed the 2min pressure test so that's done.
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 01-25-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    I used the IP last night for the first time since pressure cooking the stinky ring. To my surprise the old stinky ring didn't stink at all. No sign of odor at all. Whatever was left of the stuff that caused the stink obviously finished outgassing. I'm going to have to declare success with the pressure cooking of the ring eliminating the odors, even if it took a few days for the smell to completely disappear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234