Possible to wire a vibrating motor in place of the fan controller for pellet smoker?

Jason J

TVWBB Fan
I have started using a pellet smoker and using the HeaterMeter to monitor temps. I do not use the fan output anymore. One small thing pellet smokers suffer through is as you get to the last 1lb of pellets, sometimes the pellets do not funnel into the auger due to the design of the hoppers. I was thinking a little vibration to the hopper box would cause the pellets to move down into the hole. Using something like https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AKWRWRW/tvwb-20 or a smaller disc one like this https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B072L7PPGY/tvwb-20. It could be controlled or hooked up to the fan controller port?

The 12v model should work, I couldn't find spec on power consumption other than the suggestion of using a 500ma power supply. The stock HM blower consumes about 230ma at full speed so they are in the same ballpark, if you find the HM browns out then just get 1.5A or 2A power supply. Kudos for thinking outside of the box on this one!

The 12v model should work, I couldn't find spec on power consumption other than the suggestion of using a 500ma power supply. The stock HM blower consumes about 230ma at full speed so they are in the same ballpark, if you find the HM browns out then just get 1.5A or 2A power supply. Kudos for thinking outside of the box on this one!

Awesome. Ill get the 12v one. Do I just wire it up to a rca cable like the fan?

Yeah it is just a motor like a fan so it should be fine. I test HeaterMeter with up to 1A of output, and that's what all the parts are rated for. As Ralph pointed out your 12V supply might need upgrading if you get reboots, but I'd say give it a try and see how it goes!

You can set the fan output to be minimum 100%, and then just set your setpoint to like 10% or 20% and you'll get 1 or 2 seconds of vibration then off for 9 or 8 seconds which might be better than having it control the motor speed completely.

Back