Brining an injected turkey

Clayton Wolfe

I bought a 17 lb “fresh” turkey only to get home and see it was injected with 3% solution. I wanted to do the Apple brine from this website. Will it become to salty? 3% seems pretty low but just wanted to see if any one had experience with this.

I bought a 17 lb “fresh” turkey only to get home and see it was injected with 3% solution. I wanted to do the Apple brine from this website. Will it become to salty? 3% seems pretty low but just wanted to see if any one had experience with this.

If you want to play it safe, just cut down the amount of salt you add to the brine. Folks can always add salt to their taste at the table, but you can't undo too salty.

I've brined them with that much solution and they were fine. 3% is typically as good as it gets. I'm gonna do the Apple brine too.

Count me in on the apple brine; I'll be trying out The Briner for my first time... along with trying the trussing method whose link you shared in the Photo Gallery :)

Yes you will be fine. I just did a 3% fresh Honeysuckle Turkey and Breast today. I used the 1,1,&1 ratio. 1 cup of kosher salt, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 gallon of water. It wasn't salty at all.

Back