Bring Baby Backs up to Room Temp?

Joe V

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone let their rubbed baby backs sit out on the counter before smoking? I do this with steaks but have never done it with pork.

Joe V,

Most of my baby backs are purchased at Costco. The package has three racks, more than I can eat at one time. So I cut each rack into three pieces for a total of 9. Using a food saver vacuum thingy, two (2) of those pieces are vacuum sealed in each bag and frozen. The largest of the 9 is frozen by itself.

When ready for a smoke, I take a frozen package out of the freezer and place into the fridge. In a day or two the sectioned rack is thawed and now ready for the rub.

Yes, the sectioned rack(s) are now placed on a cookie sheet on the counter and rub is applied. Two hours later the baby backs are ready for the smoker.

I have not died from food poisoning yet.

CraigH in La Pine,

I do BUT it's only for an hour while the rub gets a nice "sweat" going. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother just for the sake of "warming it up" (which is minimal in any case).

For an experiment (I assume you have an instant read thermo): take the temp of the ribs straight out of the fridge and then let them sit for an hour or two and check again. Minimal difference as to make no difference.

The same would apply to your steaks. Don't bother.

No need to bring ribs or any other meat up to room temperature before it sees the coals, at least for me.
The barbecue or grilling process works well without the need to let the meat sit out to "warm up".

Thanks guys. I bought the ribs on Thursday night and dry rubbed, wrapped and placed them in the fridge then. I'll be smoking them on the Performer later this afternoon.

Yep. The only thing I let set out on the counter for an hour or so is spiral sliced ham or any ready to eat ham.
It's already cooked so putting it on ice cold just delays the warming process and it can turn out dry.
I like firing up the WSM then adding my rub on cold meat. Letting it sit too long can have a hammy taste imo.

Tim

I salt steaks and let them sit out for a few hours before cooking. Anything I'm smoking I like putting in cold. Salt it, wait ten or so minutes till the salt draws moisture, then put a saltless rub over the salted meat. The moisture makes the rub stick nicely. Then right into the smoker.

You could leave meats for the smoker on the counter all day and it wouldn't matter food safety-wise. But I see no need to bring smoker meats to room temp, or anywhere close.

Back