First timer

DLMiller

TVWBB Member
I just received my new HeaterMeter, whoohoo. I had a few issues with the case. Have you ever put something together but couldn't fine a nut to screw it together? That happened to me the nut kept falling out of the slot in the case. I vacuumed, used a magnet even got out my metal detector, still no nut. 2 hours later after pulling my hair out I found it my laptop has a magnetic spot on the front and it was stuck there.

To prevent the nuts from falling out of the retention slot, which happened more hat once, I got out my wife's glue gun and put a drop of clue over the slot, Whala. that leads me to a few questions;

1. Does the fan work without a air temperature probe? Nope fan is running
2. I want to setup my HeaterMeter with a static IP is this possible? I had my Raspberry Pi setup before.
3. I have a Southern Yankee Rotisserie smoker has anyone setup a slip ring for the meat probes?

Last edited:
One more question;

Is there a way to save a cook setup? lets say I have a setup for Turkey's which is different from Brisket. It would be nice to pick a setup that has been used before.

At one point the HM board had support for one specific type of rf remote probe, you need to solder the rf module to the HM board before it would work. I think Bryan did away with the spot on the board where you solder the rf module because nobody was using it and it took up valuable real estate.
I am not sure if the HM still supports that module in some fashion, though I thought Bryan said he uses it personally, so may be... Bryan will have to fill you in on the finer details.

PS Yes you can set the HM on a static ip, go to Config/Network and locate your network and click Edit, then change from DHCP to Static.

Last edited:
To many issues...

Alarms will not send email, no errors noted in log.
Alarms will not send SMS...
And no supporting documentation for Push Notifications.

Is there any chance I can get to the code?

The nuts only come out of the holes one way, and there's an indention actually inside their home to hold them in place while you assemble the case. The secret is to not turn the case on its side while putting it together and they will stay in place until the screws come in. The easy way to do this is to assemble everything completely in the top half of the case with the nuts already inserted, then flop the bottom half of the case on top (starting with the hinged side) and screw it in.

You can either set the device itself to static IP from the webui, or have your router give it a static IP from DHCP.

If the alarms are not sending email, and there is no message like this, then you don't have it actually enabled? Make sure you have saved the settings on the alarm page before using the test button. Also be sure you've got something in the SMTP Client setup page with your email account information to be able to send email.
Code:
Thu Sep 21 14:32:00 2017 user.warn : Alarm 0L started ringing
Thu Sep 21 14:32:00 2017 user.warn : Alarm stopped
Thu Sep 21 14:32:00 2017 user.notice lmalarm: Sending email from HeaterMeter <xxx@gmail.com> to Bryan Mayland <xxx@gmail.com>
Thu Sep 21 14:32:02 2017 mail.info msmtp: host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on ...

Alarms won't sent SMS if the email isn't working because they go through an email gateway. I'm not sure what you mean by supporting documentation for Push messages. It sends a message through one of those two services. If you're not sure what those are, then there are links to them on that page.

Can you get to "the code"? No /arms folded. I am kidding, all the source code is publicly available.

Have you been changing anything in your HeaterMeter configuration in the webui?

All 4 probe jacks on that device (assuming it is the one you purchased this week) passed testing at 3 temperature ranges, and a blower plugged in worked at 0% (off) on up to 100% (full), as well as the servo on the same range.

Are these lines from the System Log normal

Thu Sep 21 02:20:35 2017 daemon.err uhttpd[381]: wc: /proc/net/nf_conntrack: No such file or directory
Thu Sep 21 02:20:35 2017 daemon.err uhttpd[381]: sysctl: error: 'net.nf_conntrack_max' is an unknown key
Thu Sep 21 02:20:40 2017 daemon.err uhttpd[381]: wc: /proc/net/nf_conntrack: No such file or directory
Thu Sep 21 02:20:40 2017 daemon.err uhttpd[381]: sysctl: error: 'net.nf_conntrack_max' is an unknown key

the pit probe was not listed so I selected Other and ping got temp.

Sorry for all the questions

Getting there...

BTW awesome job on the GUI you have put allot of work into it.

Yeah the messages in the event log there are when you hit the Status info web page, it tries to see how many network connections are being routed through the HeaterMeter but HeaterMeter is not compiled as a router so that data isn't available.

The correct probe type for the ThermoWorks TX-1003X-AP should be the TX-1001X-OP from the dropdown, they all have the same characteristics but I can't think of a small name that fits in the box that means "All the Thermoworks TX-100?X-?? Pro Series probes". Selecting "Custom" shouldn't change a thing, it just lets you edit the actual numbers from the preset. You'll want to make sure you've got the right coefficients there or else the temperatures could get way off as they go up.

And thanks for the compliment! The GUI sort of grew organically as we started needing more and more things so it can be pretty daunting to be confronted with. I've got a complete redo of the webui on my todo list to reorganize it all and make it more finger-friendly for use on small screen devices, as well as putting some of the lesser used config items into a more advanced configuration ui. Still, it does the job for now and is one of the reasons that HeaterMeter is the Internet's Favorite Grill Controller*.

* The Internet could not be reached to confirm this claim, so unless it tries to sue me, we'll just assume it is true.

Back