Weber Genesis 2000 identification

Jon from Norway

TVWBB Member
Hi all! Great forum you got here:)

Having just bought our own house, me and the little lady wanted a grill. And everybody told me to get a Weber, because everything else turns to rust.

So having discovered this forum and being a bit obsessive I now own two grills. A white q200 which cost me about $60 and is in great shape after a bit of cleaning and a little paint, and a wonderful "redhead" Genesis 2000 for $40. I've just got it and it works great, but needs new flavorizer bars, a cover and some tlc. There is a small dent in the lid, but readheads are really rare around here and the rest seems to be in excellent shape.

However I don't know her age. The sticker gives model EK2 1330. Would anyone know what year that is?

yT7z58N.jpg

VVoU3NT.jpg

I called Weber. They suggested your serial number might be ER2 1330. That would make this a 1996 grill.

What's really interesting is the FlameCheck safety feature I see on the control panel. I assume this grill was originally sold in Europe? The Weber agent asked if it ran on butane? Here in the U.S., the FlameCheck feature was only included on high-end Genesis 4000/5000/5500 models, not the 1000/2000/3000 models.

I called Weber. They suggested your serial number might be ER2 1330. That would make this a 1996 grill.

What's really interesting is the FlameCheck safety feature I see on the control panel. I assume this grill was originally sold in Europe? The Weber agent asked if it ran on butane? Here in the U.S., the FlameCheck feature was only included on high-end Genesis 4000/5000/5500 models, not the 1000/2000/3000 models.

Thanks a lot Chris, very nice of you. I have attached the (partial) sticker from underneath, maybe you understand more than me.

As for the FlameCheck, I assume you are referring to the big round button next to the igniter? It connects to a small tube that channels extra gas to the igniter, as far as I can tell. Would that be correct? Regarding the gas, we use propane for grills, and I think it was made for european market. I doubt anyone would bother making anything for just the norwegian market. I mean, except the Tesla;)

dH9okLK.jpg

Jon,

Welcome and that grill looks like a "survivor" - still lots of life left!

Also, what year is the C3 Corvette in the back? My friend used to have a '76.

Last edited:
Jon,

Welcome and that grill looks like a "survivor" - still lots of life left!

Also, what year is the C3 Corvette in the back? My friend used to have a '76.

Thanks! I agree, little rust and nice burners. I really like the old school style and look forward to restoring it.

The corvette is in fact a 76. Good eye!:) I'm helping a friend out with some engine work while he does the interior. I run a small garage where I repair small engine stuff, boats and some car work. I also sell Honda power equipment.

Well...clearly that's a Euro label and EK2, not anything from the U.S. I suggested to the Weber agent that perhaps there was a different serial number scheme for Europe? She did not know.

Anyway, it can't be older than 1993 because that's when the Genesis 2000 was introduced.

Well...clearly that's a Euro label and EK2, not anything from the U.S. I suggested to the Weber agent that perhaps there was a different serial number scheme for Europe? She did not know.

Anyway, it can't be older than 1993 because that's when the Genesis 2000 was introduced.

FlameCheck was a safety feature on Genesis 4000/5000 grills here in the US. It shuts off gas to the grill if the flame on Burner #1 goes out.

When lighting the grill, gas is supplied to Burner #1 while the FlameCheck button is depressed. Once Burner #1 is lit, you continue to hold the FlameCheck button down for about 8 seconds. When the button is released, the burner will stay lit, then you turn on the other burners. The FlameCheck valve shuts off the gas to the grill if Burner #1 should inadvertently go out during cooking.

This feature used a thermocouple attached to Burner #1. When it senses heat, it keeps gas flowing to the grill; when it does not sense heat, it shuts off the gas. One slight annoyance with this feature, besides holding down the button for 8 seconds, was you always had to keep Burner #1 running. You could not run the grill using only Burner #2 or #3.

The biggest problem was that eventually the thermocouple failed and the grill would not stay lit. As owner Stephen R put it, "Sooner or later they fail, and you have to remove/bypass it or the only way you can get burner one to stay lit is to stand there holding it down, or sit half a brick on top of it."

Hi Chris,

we have different (slightly) SNs for many grills here in Australia. I have always assumed it is due to having slightly different regulations, and subsequent different certification labels.

And/or it makes it easy for Weber Australia to reject warranty claims from people who directly import Webers from the USA?

Nice, do you work on snowblowers? That's my other hobby. Ariens and Yamaha, though, not Honda.

Yes, I repair everything from Honda to Husky to Ariens. Yamaha stopped selling blowers around here early 90's, so they are getting rare. That's a nice hobby, do you get a lot of snow in Massachusetts?

FlameCheck was a safety feature on Genesis 4000/5000 grills here in the US. It shuts off gas to the grill if the flame on Burner #1 goes out.

When lighting the grill, gas is supplied to Burner #1 while the FlameCheck button is depressed. Once Burner #1 is lit, you continue to hold the FlameCheck button down for about 8 seconds. When the button is released, the burner will stay lit, then you turn on the other burners. The FlameCheck valve shuts off the gas to the grill if Burner #1 should inadvertently go out during cooking.

This feature used a thermocouple attached to Burner #1. When it senses heat, it keeps gas flowing to the grill; when it does not sense heat, it shuts off the gas. One slight annoyance with this feature, besides holding down the button for 8 seconds, was you always had to keep Burner #1 running. You could not run the grill using only Burner #2 or #3.

The biggest problem was that eventually the thermocouple failed and the grill would not stay lit. As owner Stephen R put it, "Sooner or later they fail, and you have to remove/bypass it or the only way you can get burner one to stay lit is to stand there holding it down, or sit half a brick on top of it."

Seems like I misunderstood its function. Thanks again Chris, top explanation. I'll probably bypass it, because by law of mechanical things and usage it will fail when I have 20 people in my backyard waiting for food.

I'll see if Weber Norway knows anything about serial numbers and grill age. For now I'll pretend its a 96, because that sounds like a nice year.

Yes, I repair everything from Honda to Husky to Ariens. Yamaha stopped selling blowers around here early 90's, so they are getting rare. That's a nice hobby, do you get a lot of snow in Massachusetts?

The average annual snowfall is 44 inches in Massachusetts but we've had some mild winters lately.

Yamaha also stopped selling snowblowers in the US in the early 90s. I have a pair of Yamaha YS-624s from the early 90s, one with wheels and another with tracks, I haven't had the chance to fully vet them out due to the lack of snow.

I DO have a Honda GX340 engine from pressure washer with a bad pump that I'm planning to install on a late 70s Ariens snowblower. That should be a lot of fun once it is finished.

Jon,

I sent your grill and serial number photos to Weber support. Here's their response this morning:

"The grill would have been made in 1993.

"The FlameCheck/thermocouple was a feature on a number of export models during that time period, and is indeed similar to the feature from the domestic 4000/5000 series."​

Jon,

I sent your grill and serial number photos to Weber support. Here's their response this morning:

"The grill would have been made in 1993.

"The FlameCheck/thermocouple was a feature on a number of export models during that time period, and is indeed similar to the feature from the domestic 4000/5000 series."​

Thanks again Chris. You really didn't have to go thru all that trouble - but I'm grateful that you did:) I'm very impressed with Weber, most companies would say its old and tell me to buy a new one.

The average annual snowfall is 44 inches in Massachusetts but we've had some mild winters lately.

Yamaha also stopped selling snowblowers in the US in the early 90s. I have a pair of Yamaha YS-624s from the early 90s, one with wheels and another with tracks, I haven't had the chance to fully vet them out due to the lack of snow.

I DO have a Honda GX340 engine from pressure washer with a bad pump that I'm planning to install on a late 70s Ariens snowblower. That should be a lot of fun once it is finished.

The 624's are nice blowers; Yamaha really make stuff to last. The big ones are nice - especially the Honda hybrids are incredibly easy to use, but the smaller, nimbler ones are just so practical and surprisingly powerful. Also the lady of the house can use them.
Not that my customers agree; last year I sold about 30 9hp blowers and only five 6hp:)

That Ariens/GX340 project sounds brilliant! Should be pretty doable, if you need any parts you can probably source some from the old 11hp Honda blower. You have to show it off once its done:)

Back