Cajun Bandit Door

Bryan J

Anyone buy / used the Cajun Bandit Door? I need a new door for my WSM, the Cajun Bandit is $48, there is another door on amazon for $28 made by weber, is the Cajun Bandit wort the extra $$ or would you just stick with the weber door?

thanks

I bought the Cajun Bandit door (with latch) prior to buying my WSM.

I'm likely going to add a second WSM at some point....and will be setting it up the same exact way, too.

The door is rock solid and zero leaks. The latch is very easy to use during cooks, too.

If you have a Weber door with proper fit--either because it fits properly right out of the box or you made it fit properly by adjusting it by hand--then you don't need a CB door, unless you just like the thought or look of a S/S door. Setting aside the issue of fit, some people chafe at the aluminum door provided by Weber because it's lightweight, but they work fine and as long as you don't step on them, they last forever.

Having said that, there are many threads about the poor fit of the 22.5" WSM door, and for those who find this to be a problem, the CB door is a good solution. Still, if you read the threads carefully, you'll notice that occasionally people complain that the CB door doesn't fit well, either. :(

I have the CB doors (and their lock mechanisms) on my WSM 22 and 18. I never had an extremely airtight fit with the stock doors but--for me--my biggest motivation for going with CB was a concern about the durability of the stock lock mechanisms; my WSM 22 reached a point where it felt as though the lock was coming unglued. I have no better fit with either CB door but I believe the locks are very robust. Regarding airflow through the doors, I have no real problems maintaining close to my desired temps, so I don't fret over that issue.

I am a bit torn on this. It seems that as I have cooked more and more on my 22 WSM, the stock door seems to have gotten worse. I am really leaning on getting one of the Cajun Bandits as I am losing quite a bit of smoke/heat out of the sides of my door. I assume the ultimate fail safe would be to get the door AND the door gasket kit. I question if JUST starting with the gasket kit and stay with the stock door would be enough. Anybody try the stock door with a gasket kit yet?

I am a bit torn on this. It seems that as I have cooked more and more on my 22 WSM, the stock door seems to have gotten worse. I am really leaning on getting one of the Cajun Bandits as I am losing quite a bit of smoke/heat out of the sides of my door. I assume the ultimate fail safe would be to get the door AND the door gasket kit. I question if JUST starting with the gasket kit and stay with the stock door would be enough. Anybody try the stock door with a gasket kit yet?
Don't have a 22 WSM, but I use gaskets on my 14 & 18 with stock door and have no leakage and tight lock fit.

I'm sure the standard door will work great.

Weber makes gear that is well thought out and works, works, works.

One of the main reasons that I bought my WSM was the portability factor. I wanted to have a smoker/s that I can put in the bed of my pickup and take with me to work, trips to visit family and etc.

That being said, a solid stainless door had a lot of appeal as I'd have no worries about it being easily bent or blowing out if I didn't secure it properly. Not that I'm hard on my gear, but travel does take it's toll at times.

It makes accessing the coals & water pan a breeze. Funny thing is that I've yet to find the need to access either during a cook. :)

The longest cook I've done was a brisket cook and everything ran steady overnight with zero need to "get in there". I ran my DigiQDX2 and let it work it's magic. No worries. Again....another piece of gear that's likely not needed, either. I bought it so I could do unattended cooks for work while I sleep.

Put the door in the water pan or under the lid if your concerned with loosing it.

I am in the camp where I purchasd a CB door and it fit worse than the aluminum one. I did get a refund in CBs defense.

I wholeheartedly recommend the CB door. I currently have two 22.5 WSMs, both with the doors.

I know many, many, many WSM owners stand by the OEM door, and if that works for them, more power to 'em!

But I think it's a great investment that will, likely, help your cooks from the first use.

BD

Back