What???

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I picked up this Silver B as a donor grill for $20. It is pretty much a wreck but it has a couple parts I wanted.

Anyway, I didn't notice it in the CL add or even after I picked it up. It wasn't until I had it at home a couple days that I realized there were TWO gas hoses hanging down from the manifold. Clearly the front one is the propane supply line. The back one, I assume is a line for the external hot plate...the problem is, there is no hot plate and it doesn't look like there ever was but I suppose there might have been one at some point. The only other thing I can think of is that at some point the previous owner needed a new manifold and grabbed one that was meant for a grill with a external hot plate.

Can someone shed some light on this situation? I have never dealt with a grill with the external burners before so I may be totally confused here.

2TYVm2c.jpg

j8X4Mro.jpg

I guess I could go out and hunt for the Serial Number and try punching that into Weber.com to see if I can get an ID on the grill and find out if it came with any external burners.

Thanks,
Bruce

That manifold has the "tap" for a side burner. Not sure why the PO hooked a gas line up to it. But that is definitely a manifold with a tap for the side burner

What's the big deal? I just see it as extra capacity.

Have both tanks hooked up, and keep 1 tank's gas valve in the closed position. When that tank runs out of fuel, close the valve and open the valve on the other tank.

All four of the 1000s I bought had the tap for a side burner even though they didn't have a side burner. One thought, I had a neighbor that had a 1000 and he used the tap to power a propane camping light that was mounted on a pole stand that allowed him to grill at night.

All four of the 1000s I bought had the tap for a side burner even though they didn't have a side burner. One thought, I had a neighbor that had a 1000 and he used the tap to power a propane camping light that was mounted on a pole stand that allowed him to grill at night.

Now THAT is a great idea! Any idea if it could work with NG?

OK, I get that. I suppose many if not all those older manifolds have a port for the side burner. But that still begs the question, why is there a hose hooked up to this one....A propane light???? I guess maybe.

Bruce, it's darn near impossible to figure out why some things are the way they are .... Who knows what they were doing? Maybe it was even a manifold that had been swapped into a NG grill from an LP that DID have a side burner, then they just capped that line off instead of removing it and capping at the manifold ....

There is a label on that extra gas line that states it is for LP. I am thinking that it is a swapped in manifold as well but the extra line isnt even capped off. It has an ajustment valve just like a regular burner....I am kind of surprised they didn't leave the knob on it as well :)

Back