The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Door/ gaskets mod question

Door/ gaskets mod question

Hi, new member here. Apologies in advance if this has already been answered 1000 times but here goes:
    I just received a 22" smoky mountain and it's fantastic aside from the door. It just isn't close to sealing, despite any amount of massaging and bending it's still got lots of air gaps... it's thin and flimsy.
    So I'm thinking to order the Cajun bandit door. Does it require a seal kit as well for satisfactory results? Or is the seal kit mostly intended for floppy OEM doors? Thanks Craig

I use the Cajun door with the Southco latch. No leaks. Not using any gaskets.

I use the Bandit door and seals. Very little leaks.

I used a gasket set and happy with result. Still had to bend the door to shape.

TVWBB Pro
    I use the original door with a gasket added. If you opt to stay with the original I recommend you add the gasket to the door and not the smoker. It looks better that way.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

+1 on what Lynn and Bill said.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). - -14.5" WSM , 22.5" WSM , 1998 22" SS Performer (Red) with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie