Burnt Ends from Brisket Flat

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I posted this recipe in reply to a thread in the Photo Gallery, but thought I'd also post it here for posterity, if case anyone is interested. It's a hybrid smoker/oven recipe that uses untrimmed brisket flat to approximate burnt ends.

Barbecued Burnt Ends
Cook's Country Season 8 Episode 4 "Grilled and Smoked" from June/July 2014

Cut a 5-6 pound untrimmed brisket flat into 1-1/2" strips and brine in a solution of 4 quarts water, 2 cups kosher salt, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar for 2 hours. After brining, pat the strips dry.

Make a rub consisting of 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons ground black pepper and apply to the strips.

As for grill preparation, the recipe gets complicated, describing how to make foil packets containing soaked wood chips and using foil pans and water to create an indirect cooking surface in a charcoal or gas grill. I'll skip that part, assuming you already know how to make an indirect fire, or that you will use a WSM or similar smoker.

Smoke the brisket strips for 3 hours at 275-300*F. Transfer the strips to a rimmed baking sheet, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and finish cooking in a 275*F oven until the strips reach 210*F internal temp, about 2 hours. Remove baking sheet from oven, leave brisket strips covered and let rest for 1 hour.

Use a fat separator to defat the pan juices. Make a BBQ sauce consisting of 3/4 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup defatted juices, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons granulated garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Combine ingredients in a medium sauce pan, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook about 5 minutes, until somewhat thickened.

Cut brisket strips into 1" to 2" chunks. Toss chunks and BBQ sauce together in a large bowl, then serve.

Back