New calculated shipping in the HeaterMeter store

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I hope this doesn't come off like an ad, Chris, and if it does please delete the thread!

I've updated the HeaterMeter store to take advantage of Shopify's new calculated shipping feature, which charges actual shipping cost rather than me trying to estimate it by product. Previously I baked in $3.85 for each kit and case, $3 for probe spools and PCBs so this has been removed from the item cost. Overall, all shipped prices should now be a little lower on single items, and much lower when combining items because there's no double dipping on the "Free" shipping. In addition, prices have been updated to reflect a slightly lower cost of goods. Pending orders from this weekend will get the reduced price and still not have to pay shipping so bonus for you guys! International shipping might price out to be quite a bit cheaper when ordering multiple items as well.

I way over-estimated how many people would want 4.2 kits when I did my last PCB run, and now that pretty much every sale is for a 4.3 kit, I'm stuck with about 125 v4.2 PCBs. They are now being sold at cost and the 4.2 kits have had their price dropped to match.

It anyone sees any errors or is seeing insane shipping rates let me know and I can look into it. Hopefully, this can make the overall cost of jumping into HeaterMeter a bit more reasonable.

I way over-estimated how many people would want 4.2 kits when I did my last PCB run, and now that pretty much every sale is for a 4.3 kit, I'm stuck with about 125 v4.2 PCBs. They are now being sold at cost and the 4.2 kits have had their price dropped to match.

Sounds like the "last hurrah" for the 4.2 design. I prefer the tried and true 4.2 model so I'm in for one more before their gone.

Yeah I think that finding a Model B for less money than a Pi 3 is difficult, especially once you add in the wifi. I wouldn't worry about running out though, I think I have about 10 years worth of stock here. It isn't like they go bad, although over time I guess the solder protecting the pads might oxidize a bit.

Used Model B's can be found for $25 and under. Even with a $7 wifi dongle that is less than a Ver 4.3 with a Pi 3.
The reduced residual heat of the slower Pi Model B is also a consideration in the desert. I have had SD cards fail from excessive heat in the summer here in AZ.

Now if the improved processing power of the Pi 3 actually made a real world difference, I would jump to the 4.3. But for now, the 4.2 model is the rock solid hands down choice for me.

I, too, prefer the 4.2, and I have about 80 4-way switches that I bought a few years ago from Mouser when they discontinued them. I caught them when the getting was good ($0.34 a switch).

Back