LinkMeter Home Question

Paul DC

I am sure this answer is in the wiki somewhere but I can't seem to find it:

Is the yellow line that moves on the blue fan bar represent the damper opening?

Just curious.

Dave

LinkMeter Home
The current PID output percent is indicated by the size of the bar and the label. There may also be a lighter blue bar inside of the main bar indicating the current blower speed, if max fan speed isn't 100%. The exponential moving average of the output % is displayed as a translucent yellow rectangle "pip" at the correct percentage

Bryan,
I have a quick question on the configuration screen.
The PID entries are very clear to me. Where I need some clarification is the fan output line. Here is how I interpret that line. I can chose how I want the fan to run voltage or pulse. I can tell the fan to run above a set % . Next setting I need clarification on how I use and what results I will see. For me I will set fan to run above 5% and a max of 30%. Now is the based on controller pid output, or is this scaling the fan output or is this based on against the max startup speed? my damper works as I would expect it too. But in order to vary fan speed I can only change that by changing the startup max. Not sure of how this setting integrates with my pid adjustments. I can make the system work, but this area is not clear to me

Your message is a bit hard for me to understand, but the fan works like this. After you enter the setpoint the HM will use the Startup Max as the max fan speed, once the target temp has achieved the HM will revert to using the MAX fan speed (until you restart the HM or change the setpoint, at which time it will revert back to Startup Max until the target temp is achieved)
The MIN is exactly that, setting the slowest speed that will make your fan spin, the HM does a little boost start to get the blower spinning then backs down to your MIN setting, most fans will spin even as low as 1% so I suggest the MIN be left at 0%.
As for the On Above setting, that is exactly as it sounds. If you set On Above 5% the fan will start up after the HM output hits 5% and ramp to MAX/Startup Max at 100% output. It basically moves 0% for the fan to whatever % you set there, as a result it will compress the range of fan operation and you will see the fan speed ramp up quicker.

Great Results

Thanks Brian for the link. That was the information I was looking for. I have had fun with this project and now believe with a control fan/damper change I now have what I need for success. It has been interesting to see the difference between a MD and the Adapt a Damper on my ceramic grill. I struggled with the MD and hit a homer with the AD first swing. It became very apparent that each fan/damper unit characteristics will work better on different smoker types. My suspicion is the AD will work better with a ceramic smoker and the MD on metal units. Here are my setting for a Primo Oval Jr. grill.
P=3.2
I=0.0035
D= 6
fan=voltage
on above=0%
min=0%
max=10%
startup max =65%

I kept the settings constant and varied the dome damper at higher temps. higher temps, slightly open more. When I did change settings at higher temps, the results always sent me back to the most stable settings which were the first ones.
Once I figure out how to insert graph I will update with Graph.

Back