Weber S-670 with no warranty

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
So there is a bit of a story behind this, I'm not entirely sure what is or is not correct, but the end result is, I have the option to buy a brand new S-670 that will not have a warranty. It was a grill that was returned under warranty from my understanding out of the m box and basically the damaged pieces were replaced, but no weber warranty.
The dealer said he will stand behind it for initial set up and parts later if needed as a warranty.
Would you buy? Obviously this is significantly discounted. 60percent of market price.

I'm leaning towards yes at this price since this is a lot of grill for what I'd pay and I'm banking on this being reliable like my old Weber.

Obviously a risk. Thoughts?

I'd offer him $1000 cash and see if he will bite.

here's my reasoning, which could be completely wrong. Customer buys a Weber. Things are broken. If they call Weber, the parts would be replaced under warranty. If they just took it back to the store, that's a store return, not a warranty replacement. Store would get credited for the grill by Weber. Instead of destroying, the dealer is trying to unload it. In short, he's double dipping. It's free to him and anything he sells it for is pure profit.

At least, that's my read on it.

I'd offer him $1000 cash and see if he will bite.

here's my reasoning, which could be completely wrong. Customer buys a Weber. Things are broken. If they call Weber, the parts would be replaced under warranty. If they just took it back to the store, that's a store return, not a warranty replacement. Store would get credited for the grill by Weber. Instead of destroying, the dealer is trying to unload it. In short, he's double dipping. It's free to him and anything he sells it for is pure profit.

At least, that's my read on it.

That sounds like a reasonable guess. I just wonder what happens when the OP or even a future owner calls Weber to register the grill. That is a long warranty on Summits and something may well need to be replaced in the future while still in that warranty period.

I'm sorry but I don't think the product is THAT good. $1500 for a product with no warranty (and as many issues as one sees here from Summit owners) is a lot of coin. Under $1k like $950 yeah MAYBE I would bite. But that product line is going to be closing out from Weber pretty soon from what we're seeing and it could very well be that in not too long you'll be seeing legit brand new ones at that price. Me smells a mackerel LOL

Lots of food for thought. He indicated that he has a cost to this and that at that price he's not making much when I pushed him on price.
I didn't realize that there are a lot of issues with the Summit line that require support. If that is the case I'm not sure getting it at any price makes sense.

I can call him Monday and push harder on price and see about getting something in writing that they will support it.

I know some people are negative to new Webers, my other option is a 4 burner genesis II SE-410 in NG. He will give it to me delivered and assembled for $90 under MAP, but that is plus tax

I'd do some research on here about people with Summit rust issues, ignitor issues and so on. Frankly If you can get the Summit for say less than $1200 delivered and no tax even without warranty it's a better buy than the Chinese Genesis II. But again that's me. Also even if you needed support Weber might just surprise you if you fell on their mercy.

Chris, biggest thing with the newer gen Summit grills is the cart rusting out. I don't know if this applies to the S series though. Is the cart itself stainless steel ? If the guy has been in business for a while, and if he says that he will stand behind it, I'd be tempted to jump at it. If you know going in that the cart can be an issue down the road, you can take inexpensive preventative measures to counter the problem right from the start.

Chris, biggest thing with the newer gen Summit grills is the cart rusting out. I don't know if this applies to the S series though. Is the cart itself stainless steel ? If the guy has been in business for a while, and if he says that he will stand behind it, I'd be tempted to jump at it. If you know going in that the cart can be an issue down the road, you can take inexpensive preventative measures to counter the problem right from the start.

So I called him today after much mulling this over. In speaking with him, it appears I misunderstood what he meant by supporting the grill. He said he will sell me parts to support the grill and answer questions. He will give me a 60 day warranty on the grill. I pushed on price and he was at a hard stop, $1500.

He basically said if I'm concerned from a service perspective he would feel more comfortable selling me a new grill with a weber warranty.

Its amazing how indecisive I am! I was basically decided to buy this one and was going to push for the warranty in writing and see if I could get some money off (although probably would have paid his asking). Now, I'm not entirely sure I want to take that risk. I did read on the frame issues and firebox issues. Not entirely sure if these are the very very small percentage or a real significant risk. He basically says that this mainly happens to people on or very near the water. I'm now probably feeling 40/60 about doing it.

He game me a price on a new e470 (about $100 more than the 670) and a Genesis II SE-410, both great prices. Honestly though, the E470 from what I'm reading, has a pretty small cooking area due to the smoke box et all. I'm looking for more space, not less.

I'd go 470 before new Gen II SE. Yes SLIGHTLY smaller grilling area (about 2.5") but a wealth of better usability between the searing station, rotisserie, and smoker. Also on that grill you can contact RCPlanebuyer and he makes an extender grate and flavorizer bar set for removing the smoker if you decide not to use it at times. BOOM! There ya go!

for what its worth, I decided I wanted to go through with the S670, called him again and he told me it was sold... I'm thinking he was just uncomfortable selling to me when I'm asking warranty questions etc. I'm disappointed, but it does make things somewhat easier with less question-marks surrounding warranty etc.

Trouble with the 420 is they're not very versatile. Basically only good for straight grilling. On a N/S burner grill that rear rotisserie burner is "da bomb" and makes all the difference in the world to the unit

Back