Genesis e-310 NP to LP & Scale Question

Alex O

Hello,

We recently scored a new Genesis e-310 (last year's model) from Home Depot for $340 as it was on clearance there and there was some damage to a couple of the nobs (Weber is already sending me replacement knobs and manifold assembly). We were all excited to get grilling, bought food and tank, but when I tried hooking up the tank I realized we bought and NP. Oops. I was bummed at first but then did some research and found out that doing a conversion isn't that big of a deal. My parts are already on order.

My actual question is I want to get a tank scale or at least some kind of mount to keep the tank stationary. The NP cabinet doesn't have the floor cutout for the tank as it wasn't meant to use one. And while I can simply place the tank on the floor, that will not keep it stable and I don't want to rupture someone should it fall while moving the grill. I looked and saw there were some scales available that more importantly work as a mount. There are some that mount on the inside and some on the outside of the tank. I would prefer to use one for the inside to keep the tank out of the way as much as possible. However, out of various Weber models that I have been able to see, there doesn't seem to be any for the Genesis specifically (at least non that I could find). The closest was this: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/tank-scale-p-1868649.html

Could anyone confirm that I can use this scale to mount on the inside of my cabinet and it would hold the tank in place? If not, what would you recommend to keep the tank mounted?

Thank you!

If you mean NG not NP than you need an awful lot more to make that grill work properly than just a scale. The manifold and it's valves are all wrong for that type of gas. If you try to hook up LP to a NG manifold you will have a giant blowtorch on your hand. At best impossible to control and at worst dangerous to use

If you mean NG not NP than you need an awful lot more to make that grill work properly than just a scale. The manifold and it's valves are all wrong for that type of gas. If you try to hook up LP to a NG manifold you will have a giant blowtorch on your hand. At best impossible to control and at worst dangerous to use

Yes, NP. Oops. And yeah, I've read up on the changes needed for a correct conversion. I've ordered the proper orifice to change out for LP usage as well as the correct regulator. And I've looked at few documents/videos on properly adjusting the burners for airflow for LP. My main question was about the scale or at least some sort of mount for the tank. I'd like to keep everything as safe and tight as I can.

If you want something simple try this, just make sure you have enough vertical clearance to lift it in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007772I54/tvwb-20

If you decide to purchase it make sure you use the forums link to Amazon so Chris gets the credits.

That's pretty cool. Though I can still see it shifting within the compartment side-to-side. However, I can probably just bolt this to the bottom to keep stationary. I'll have to measure it out to make sure I have the clearance. Thanks for the suggestion!

Depending on the type of valves (continuous or fixed orifice) your new Genesis has an orifice change may not suffice to give you a properly working grill. While I am very familiar with older model Genesis grills and Summits I am not with the newer (n/s burner) models. But suffice to say if the valves are of the fixed orifice variety you will NOT be a happy camper as you'll still have a VERY hot running grill when you expect it to be on a low/slow setting. In order to truly do this correctly you need to change the entire manifold assembly. (unless of course you have the variable orifice type valves). NG and LP have very different BTU content. Also there is no need to touch the air shutters on the burners. Once the proper amount of gas is flowing the air mixture will sort itself out

Depending on the type of valves (continuous or fixed orifice) your new Genesis has an orifice change may not suffice to give you a properly working grill. While I am very familiar with older model Genesis grills and Summits I am not with the newer (n/s burner) models. But suffice to say if the valves are of the fixed orifice variety you will NOT be a happy camper as you'll still have a VERY hot running grill when you expect it to be on a low/slow setting. In order to truly do this correctly you need to change the entire manifold assembly. (unless of course you have the variable orifice type valves). NG and LP have very different BTU content. Also there is no need to touch the air shutters on the burners. Once the proper amount of gas is flowing the air mixture will sort itself out

The orifice I purchased were for a direct swap. The newer Weber Genesis models use the same manifold assembly with the orifice being the difference. I'll be sure to first run a test on the flames without adjusting the shutters, but from what I've seen, some adjustment may be needed. Either way, I'm looking forward to this project :)

You missed my point entirely. I am talking about the internal orifice(s) inside the valve NOT the external screw on one. Weber uses two completely different types of valves. One with FIXED internal orifices and one with a continuously variable type. Unless you completely disassemble a valve you will not know which you have. If the valves are fixed internal orifice you will not get a low or medium setting. I wish I had a photo of this to explain it to you but I don't. But I have done probably 15 conversions of Weber grills and a bunch more others. So believe me on what I am telling you. You could have a real hornets nest of trouble or it could go smoothly. Also believe me on the air shutters. In ALL the conversions (both ways) I have ever done I have NEVER had to touch them. If your new grill has the fixed internal orifice valves than changing the external orifice will ONLY effect the maximum burner output but the burners will not regulate down to a true low or medium setting.
Variable orifice valves are the easiest to work with though. I just don't know what you have. So just know that if they don't adjust down low enough at low/medium then know you wasted your money on the orifices because you'll still need the entire manifold

You missed my point entirely. I am talking about the internal orifice(s) inside the valve NOT the external screw on one. Weber uses two completely different types of valves. One with FIXED internal orifices and one with a continuously variable type. Unless you completely disassemble a valve you will not know which you have. If the valves are fixed internal orifice you will not get a low or medium setting. I wish I had a photo of this to explain it to you but I don't. But I have done probably 15 conversions of Weber grills and a bunch more others. So believe me on what I am telling you. You could have a real hornets nest of trouble or it could go smoothly. Also believe me on the air shutters. In ALL the conversions (both ways) I have ever done I have NEVER had to touch them. If your new grill has the fixed internal orifice valves than changing the external orifice will ONLY effect the maximum burner output but the burners will not regulate down to a true low or medium setting.
Variable orifice valves are the easiest to work with though. I just don't know what you have. So just know that if they don't adjust down low enough at low/medium then know you wasted your money on the orifices because you'll still need the entire manifold

From what I've seen for my grill, it looks like just the external orifice needs to be changed. However, should that fail, I'll be out $18 for the set. At which point, I'll just buy the LP manifold.

Like I said unless you take a valve apart you will not know. Well actually you will know when you cannot get the low and medium settings to work properly. I've had to fix more than few grills people messed up because they did not know the difference. Hopefully it works for you and you got yourself a halfway decent grill for a cheap price.

Thanks! I hope so as well. We had a Weber Spirit a few years ago and absolutely loved it! But sadly, it was crushed by a tree during a windstorm. We went without grilling last year as we didn't have the cash for a replacement and I didn't want to cheap out on bargain grill. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly with this one so we can get back to the nommies.

Back