Hi all!

ThorS

TVWBB Member
I'm new to the forums. I mainly joined because I would like to build a heater meter and I'm lost. So you can expect lots of questions about it in the future.

I've been smoking (meat) for about 12+ years. I started with doing some low and slow on a weber kettle I inherited from a relative. After that I graduated to an offset smoker from the retail chain Barbecues Galore. I did pretty well with it but I decided that dealing with managing wood and cleaning up was a pain. After using it for several years I decided that putting raw wood in the smoker was making the meat too bitter so I was trying to use a fire pit to get wood pre burnt into coals then adding that to the smoke box. It turned out to be very difficult and took way too much time. I ended up just pulling meat after four hours, wrapping in foil, then finishing in the oven.

So for Christmas I got a Weber Smokey Mountain and I love it. It's so much easier to deal with and the clean up is a breeze. I've done baby backs, St. Luis style ribs, beef short ribs, chicken, duck, and a whole ham. All the cooks I've done with the water pan empty but lined with foil. The last one was baby backs with water in the pan. I don't think having water helped the finished product at all and the clean up was a lot messier. Since I learned temperature control cooking with wood and charcoal is so much easier with the WSM I don't feel I need the water.

Like I said earlier I would like to build a heater meter. I've briefly dabbled with learning to build electronic stuff so I feel this would be a good next project. I started with a CMOY headphone amp and a minty-synth. I've also dabbled with repairing a few instrument and mic cables over the years too.

hello, welcome, and i am sure you will find the guys here to help you along the way! ideas, knowledge and general friendly help are in full loads here. again, welcome, enjoy and hope you find what you are looking for, which you may already have...your WSM!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the WSM. Sounds like you will fit in here very well.

Back