Gator Country

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
My oldest son and his fiance live in Baton Rouge, where he goes to LSU's law school. He came home for Christmas and said to me don't look in the freezer. My response, "you bought me an alligator for Christmas?" He did. Put the prehistoric beast in a buttermilk brine. Dried the creature, rubbed down with mustard and hit with Slap Ya Mama Seasoning. Decided to cook the monster on the RANCH kettle for a party we were having after Christmas.

Here is the alligator rubbed down sitting on kitchen counter:

Gator on the RANCH Kettle, split fire with a bit of apple and cherry wood:

A lot of my guests were a bit taken aback looking at a whole cooked gator on the counter so I decided to cut him down into pieces and pull off the fat. Made a nice dipping sauce also. As the cliche of all cliche's: "It tasted a bit like chicken".

Wow Jim - I have had alligator sausage, alligator shish-ka-bob, and alligator sauce piquant but I have never even heard of whole grilled alligator before. How did it turn out? Did you enjoy the flavor? Texture?

Regards,

John

The gator turned out delicious. I've had gator bites before, but the frying kind of masks the meat. The texture was tender, more like a firm fish. Flavor was similar to chicken. i also made a remoulade sauce for dipping, which gave people an alternative to eating it straight. The amount of meat was less than I expected.

Would have loved to see the expressions on your guests' faces when you opened the lid!! Bet some were priceless!!

Back