22 wsm is cheating

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
Been a member here for years... I have had several 22 charcoal grills, smokey Joe, Jumbo Joe, 26.5 Kettle mini smoker and even a jumbo Joe smoker, and nothing is as easy to cook on as my 22 WSM.

I generally start a fire on my 26.5 kettle on Saturday and some 20 sausages, 20 chicken breasts, a chicken, and either a chuckroast or a corned beef. This gives me food for a week for my family... The stress comes because I need to add charcoal or the fire gets too hot or too cool.

Now with the WSM, I set the fire, prep the meat and since I have more room and the temp is rock solid I don't come back to burned or under done meat. I had no idea that cooking could be this easy.

Food even taste better because its more consistent...

All these advantages are so good it has to be cheating. :)

I agree with you. I have two 22" kettles and one 26" kettle and if given a choice, they are my go to. However, when making certain meals (Thanksgiving, etc.) my family insists I cook on my WSM. The WSM makes it easy, that's for sure. I've had a 18" for several years, and the el cheapo brinkman before that. I got a 22" WSM for Christmas, I can't wait to cook something in it, I just don't know what will be my inaugural for my 22" WSM

For sure, the 22" will cook a lot of meat!

I put a 2nd vent in the 18" WSM for high heat. Ditch the water pan, cook on the top rack and use direct heat for poultry or virtually anything you would do on a kettle. It's far enough from the coal to not worry about burning. The WSM is the best of both worlds.

Back