Reverse Crutch for Ribs

WilliamD

TVWBB Fan
Hello everyone...Just looked at some info for a reverse crutch technique for making ribs when it is too cold or snowy outside to use the old Smoker!!! Was wondering if anyone has ever used this technique and how were the results.

Hey neighbor. By reverse crutch you mean start out foiled and end up naked? (The ribs , not the cook)
I have not done them that way specifically, but , when I cook ribs in the gas oven , I do them 2 hrs bare naked to start then I foil them for 2 and then I open up the foil and finish them naked.They come out so perfect this way that I'm not tempted to vary my method. 250 degrees.BTW
I know it's not PC to say so , but I hate grilling or smoking outdoors in the winter and from November to April , unless it's a real nice day , I usually opt for the indoor method.

Hey Frank!!! (Fellow Neighbor)!!!! :) I have just heard of this new Reverse Crutch method. Oven @ 250 season and foil ribs, cook for 3 hours....unwrap and continue cook @ 250 for another 2 hours... then crank heat up to 400 and sauce for about 10 minutes. Was wondering how this indoor method worked.

- - - Updated - - -

Chuck, thanks but Reverse Crutch...not Texas Crutch.

You are correct Sir!!! (Frank with the Reverse Crutch Method) And ohhhh .... that is what they mean by naked ribs!!!

Last edited:
William, you should check out Jim Lampe's threads. He lives in Wisconsin, and has to keep his beer on the grill to keep it from freezing. So I'm not sure what you're talking about [QUOTEwhen it is too cold or snowy outside to use the old Smoker!!][/QUOTE].

Phil...Thanks and I will.... So I digress to the original question... I guess this means a no for you on this particular technique nor have you ever heard of it....Thx...Bill

Back