Dry Brisket Salvation Stew

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
I'm calling this recipe "Dry Brisket Salvation Stew"

I did a brisket yesterday that for whatever reasons, probably my own fault, went too long and dry/crumbly.

What to do?

Throw it away?

The family took pity on my failure and urged me to save the meat...but for what?

I got inspired to just make something up and came up with a concoction that turned out amazingly tasty.

====

Sliced the brisket into small 1/4" cubes from the day before slices

Heated a 6 quart pot with 1/2 stick of butter and added the brisket to get some fat/moisture back in.

Stirred on low for 10 minutes.

Added in a 22 oz can of Bush's Southern BBQ Pit Grilled Beans - let simmer for another 10 minutes.

While simmering, take 2 stalks celery, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 carrot, and 1 medium potato and dice up. Nuke in the microwave for 8 minutes to soften. Sprinkle with garlic/parsley salt...sparingly.

Add the veggies to the brisket and bean pot - stir well, then simmer for another 15 minutes.

Final step is to add a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes - simmer for 1 hour.

Serve as is, or over rice or pasta.

We served over fresh steamed rice.

Expensive and ruined brisket now saved.

Last edited:
I've taken dry/overcooked brisket and made chili out of it...the long simmer in the chili adds moisture back to the meat and the chili picks up the smokey flavor of the brisket. The family likes it so much that I always set aside some brisket meat from each cook regardless, specifically to make chili later for them.

Back