To help with the life of probes...

Rob - TexasRob

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I have a Mav ET 732...as we know the probes can have a short life span if water gets in contact where the probe meets the cable. Has anyone used this on the area where the two parts meet? It was suggested to me to try this as long as the material doesn't come in contact with the food itself. Thoughts, opinions, feedback if anyone did or has used this...much appreciated!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002UEN1A/tvwb-20

Rob

It's been a while but it seems like I put an multimeter to one a while back. If the probe shorts to the braided wire exterior the probe won't work. That heat shrink can melt if it gets too hot. The permatex thing might work but I don't know if I want that stuff that near my food. Maybe put some heat shrink over the top of it that's rated for a high temp. That should keep water out I'd think. It's just an idea.

I've had my maverick 733 or about 2 years now. In all that time I have only destroyed one probe and it was a stupid user error. I tried to yank the probe out of the meat but tugging the wire not the actual probe... With that being said I have never felt the need to water proof or seal where the wire goes into the probe. How many probes have you destroyed with water?

That may be so for you personally, but there are countless stories of Maverick probes failing, and the common theme is that they are highly susceptible to permanent damage by even small amounts of moisture, if it gets between the probe and the braided wire. Heck, my 732's short grate probe was toast after literally 1 use, and I didn't even get it wet. The second most common issue is people stick it in a 500F grill and melt the damn thing, which is their own fault.

I've successfully used heat shrink tubing over the joint between the probe and cable. No issues with melting, though I don't use probes over 350F anyway. I just tossed them into the oven at 300F for maybe 10 mins tops, and it shrinks and fits nice and tight. The only downside is that they don't last very long, and will eventually crack/split on you. Nothing another quick 10mins and a fresh heatshrink sleeve can't solve.

OR......get Thermoworks probes across the board for a HeaterMeter. They're by far the most accurate and reliable.

Last edited:
Almost EVERY failed probe story I have heard was a direct result of careless users.

Not saying your probe was, but with ANY product there will likely be a factory defect or two...one out of every how ever many thousands will fail for no reason. I have read almost no reports of probe failures from people who handled them semi carefully and washed them with a damp sponge avoiding the end where the wire enters. Its really just not a problem unless you make it one.

Back