Catching Turkey Drippings

Mike Arnold

If I smoke a turkey on the top rack and place an empty foil pan on the lower rack to catch the drippings,
will they burn on me? What is the best way to do this?
Thanks.

Mike

When cooking with an empty water pan in the WSM, I drape aluminum foil over the pan so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pan, leaving a 1" to 1-1/2" gap. The drippings collect in the center of the foil and don't seem to burn.

If you're using water in the pan, I think you can get away with just an empty foil pan on the bottom grate. Just to be safe, you may want to put a pan inside another pan and create an air or water gap between the two pans to prevent burning.

Good luck!

As others have mentioned little bit of water or stock in the foil pan will definitely prevent the drippings from burning. However, I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I did a 2 hour chicken cook at 325-350 degrees with an empty foil pan on the lower rack, and the drippings didn't burn. They were dry and crusted on, which I thought made them more flavorful after deglazing. Deglazing the pan was as easy as pouring hot water inside and letting it sit in a 350 oven for a little bit.

Back