Mold inside Genesis grill

Cissy Delvendo

we had not used the grill in about 2 weeks due to lots of raj when we uncovered it tonight it was filled with mold inside. We did turn it on High and let it burn it off for a while. We will scrub with bleach / water to be sure it's all gone. Just wonder why this happened

Trapped moisture and a food source for the mold. I turn my grill up high after use to burn off food residue and dry it out before finally cooling it down and covering my grill. If you can get the grill under a covered area where the ground stays dry, it'll stay drier inside that just relying on putting a cover over it.

Typically, covers are not waterproof. Water gets in through the seams in the cover. Some covers have mesh openings for ventilation that also let water in.

Move the grill to a covered location if you can. Otherwise, cover with a waterproof tarp and secure with bungee cords.

I have a waterproof cover but there is just so much moisture in the air mold grows all over the BBQ inside and out (Pacific North West). The BBQ is located at our cabin so it can go for a month without use and unfortunately faces North. It is kept under a deep eve with a Cabela's storm proof cover over it on a raised deck. I'm wondering if it's best left uncovered? Any suggestions? I've even considered building a hard shell cover out of tin siding to place over it when not in use to protect from rain but will allow air movement. It has RCplanebuyer grates and flavourizer bars so I'm not worried about those rusting.

Back