A Coin-sized Linux Computer with WIFI - VoCore - Runs OpenWRT

I have the original vocore. It works ok, but the hole spacing is so tight that it's really going to be a chore for a novice to solder the pin headers onto.

Yup, I have two as well, I just saw them in my drawer two days ago! I came to the same conclusion, between the difficulty of flashing the firmware to the module and the challenge of soldering fine pitch SMD accurately I decided it was too much work. I'm working on OpenWrt for the CHIP but there's some pretty big hurtles to overcome before that's viable. You have to admit that $9 for CPU+Wfif+Flash+Bluetooth+GPIO is pretty great. At that price I can say it is a requirement and scrap parts like the 3.3V regulator (which by itself makes up 5% the cost of the CHIP). I'm also considering running the LCD from it, but it takes over a minute to boot so that kinda sucks as a user experience.

If you were not trying to look at lowest cost option do you have a platform that you like now. Is it the Raspberry PI or some other chipset / platform. Seems like you are satisfied with the Arduino side but looking for alternatives for the OpenWrt.

Also with the Raspberry PI you get USB 2 or 4 ports, Ethernet, HDMI, SD Card and with Raspberry PI 2 a Quad Processor. Overall the current platform is great except the fact that the original Raspberry PI is difficult to find. So a B+ implementation (done by others on the forum by laying out chips differently OR Raspberry 2 which would take some development work.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts and others who have been involved in the project at a development level.

Last edited:
HeaterMeter v4.3 for Pi A, B, A+, B+, and Pi 2 currently in final testing (next to a v4.2 for size reference)

Still at least a month out before release, will cost more than the current version, and have no new features but it will be an option for people who don't want to just get the PiB from the HeaterMeter store for $35.

I do like the platform but a HeaterMeter kit is $95, Pi + wifi + SD Card is $55 for a total of $140. With a CHIP at just $9 that would drop the total cost to $104 which is a significant chunk.

Interesting - could this be used - $16

nanopi_zb.jpg

nanopi.gif

http://nanopi.org/

Last edited:
That is kinda interesting, keeps things on the rPi platform instead of having to port everything over to work with something else. It seems to have everything we need onboard, besides the memory, so it would be about $20 total for what we need. Compared to what we have now at $50+ for the rPi and accessories that's a good price point, compared to the CHIP it's still a bit high, but Bryan stated there is a lot of work to make the HM compatible with the CHIP computer.
The only thing that caught my eye is the processor speed is a bit low isn't it?

I think the GPIO pinout is just the same, not that is is compatible with the Pi. It has a 400MHz ARM processor, even the original Pi was 700MHz. The low speed rating makes me think it isn't even the same ARM family as the pi. Oh yeah checking the website it is a Samsung S3C2451 w/ 64MB of RAM. The only think Pi-like about it is the name and the GPIO header.

Back