Auber Blower Size Recommendation for 22" WSM?

MichaelJF

TVWBB Member
The majority of the parts for my HM kit arrived today. Thanks, Bryan. After looking things over I decided I'd like to pick up one of the Auber snap on blowers since it seems like a pretty simple and effective way to attach the blower to my 22" WSM.

Based on what I've read so far I assume the 10cfm blower is probably a decent option for the 22" WSM but, since it's the same price, could I get the 20cfm and just dial it down? Will I be able to dial it down enough or would that be a mistake to try?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

I use a 6.5cfm Auber blower on a 22 and it's more than enough to get to 375.

Do NOT get a 20cfm for a WSM. You should be able to manage w/ a 10cfm.

Last edited:
The problem with using a fan that is TOO big, is that the HM gives a boost start to the blower when it turns on at first. If your pit has been in overshoot and settles to the setpoint the HM will start up the blower, but if your blower is very large the boost start will send a decent puff of air through the grill before it settles down to the slow speed, this could send your pit right back to overshoot.
I know the 6.7CFM blower will work fine for your WSM, and the 10CFM will prob work fine too, dont go 20CFM, thats way too much air. Frankly I dont see why you would want to spend over $50 on a blower anyways, the stock HM blower is $15 and will work fine with your WSM. I dont think that auber clip is going to work well in a WSM vent anyways? (never used one, but it doesn't look like it would fit the WSM vent), so you would have to go the dog dish route anyways....

Thanks for the additional feedback, guys. Being that I haven't actually used the HM yet that info was helpful.

I have to agree that the price of the Auber blower setup is a bit steep. I'm hoping with the silicone gasket they offer with it will seal up nicely on the WSM curved vent. I like that it has a shutter that closes when the fan isn't blowing and I'm not too excited about fussing with a makeshift diy setup anyway. After looking at the video of how easily it attaches I'm willing to give it a try.

Back