Silly Butter Question

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I notice when I watch shows like BBQ Pitmasters and the like that a lot of the teams use squeeze butter and am curious as to why.

I actually did a blind test where I put squeezable margarine on 3 sets of ribs and left the other 3 as is. I had a bunch of friends over and had them taste them both. It was 7 to 2 in favor of no margarine. Most felt it had lowered how much smoke the ribs took in and had made the rub seem milder as well. Those that did like it said they could stay taste just a hint of the butter flavor and liked it.

I believe the logic behind it is to help with the texture and sheen of the ribs but even when I do backyard comps I will be skipping it myself.

Funny, I tried Parkay once on ribs, stated they were the best I've ever made, then never used it again. :confused:
In fact, had forgotten about it until this thread.
I'm good without it, but like many folks, I have to try something at least once.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47819-Parkay-ed-amp-Maple-Sugar-Spares&highlight=parkay

here's the ingredients:

Liquid Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Contains Less Than 2% of The Following: Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Vegetable Monoglycerides And Soy Lecithin (Emulsifiers), Potassium Sorbate And Sodium Benzoate (to Preserve Freshness), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Phosphoric Acid (Acidulant), Vitamin A Palmitate, Colored With Beta Carotene (Source of Vitamin A). Contains Soy.

I'm not a big fan of margarine, not really big on processed foods overall. I was curious why they would use that rather than butter. I don't see it being something I would do. thanks Shawn and Bob.

Back