New member, some questions :)

Chris_Vagnozzi

TVWBB Member
Hi all!

I'm new to the boards so thanks for having me :) I acquired a Weber Genesis Silver C about 2 years ago from CL. I bought it for $100 in good-working order, just required some cleaning and degreasing. It was originally a gift for my wife since she has always been in love with her father's older Red Genesis (that has had some tasteful upgrades I might add). It's come time to do some maintenance on my grill however and this is what I've observed so far:

The knobs weren't pressing down well. Wife stripped 2/3 of them trying to light the grill. That said, I took the manifold apart including the valves. I cleaned all of the crap out of the valves, even soaked them in apple cider vinegar overnight and made them look like new. On my lunch break today I picked up some new springs since the others just basically fell apart in my hands. I bought some synthetic brake grease at AutoZone, but I wanted to double check what I'm supposed to actually grease on the valves. Should I be greasing in where the spring goes, or just that little zone around? Also, should I be greasing the top part of the valve? ie: where the valve touches the top of the spring and even above that where the knob touches?

You can tell I'm not a veteran, but just someone who appreciates their grill and wants to get it working like new again. I can't believe how source-able these parts are and they're not expensive at all :) Once I get the valves working in tip-top shape I'm going to do the burner tubes, grate and flavorizer bars. All advice appreciated!

Welcome to the forum Chris. I have restored a few 1000 and B grills but never had to deal with valve problems. But hang in there are a few guys on here that will be able to answer your questions. When they see your thread they will light it up. Good luck.

Put the tiniest little amount on the cone and on the stem where it goes through the top. They'll work like new. But don't put so much that grease gets into the ports in the valve. Basically just a see through film

Thanks everyone! I buttoned it up and the hardest part was finding a replacement spring that wasn't packed with tension (one of my springs fell apart when I pulled it out). While all my knobs turn like new now, I had a few flare-ups from excess grease. My advice, make sure you wipe your valves down well after screwing them back together :)

Back