Papo Seco Crusty Buns

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
For Clint, to utilize your bread making skills, try these crusty buns. If you like crusty and real chewy and not those soft pillow-like things they sell in grocery stores, you'll love these. Made with lard, the dough is very soft, not at all like bread dough.

Portuguese Papo Seco Buns

2/3 t sugar
1 1/3 C lukewarm water (about 100-105oF)
2 t active dry yeast (not instant)
3 1/3 C a.p. flour
2 t salt
2 t lard

-Dissolve the sugar in 1/3 C of the warm water
-sprinkle in yeast/let stand for 10 min
-in large bowl blend flour and salt
-using fingers, rub in the lard

-stir yeast mixture with fork then blend into the flour

-gradually mix in the rest of the warm water to make a stiff but soft dough
-knead dough on floured surface ~ 10 minutes
-gather into a ball and put in a covered, lightly greased bowl to rise ~ 90 minutes in a nice warm place

-punch down and divide into 12 pieces

-on well-floured surface, using your palm flatten the dough into 3" rounds
-place side of hand down centre of dough and press down firmly; fold over and pinch ends to form a small point (now it's a football-shaped piece of dough)

-place on greased sheets about 2" apart

-dust lightly with flour, cover and let rise ~ 45 minutes in a warm place

-bake on top rack at 450o for 12-15 minutes till nicely browned
-transfer to wire rack to cool

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm a hack baker but those look easy & delicious! I'll post pics if they turn out :)

Dont judge "doneness" by how golden brown on top. Check the bottom as well. They might burn depending on how close to the bottom of the oven they are/close to the top. So check them at the minimum time first.

I thought I had something like that but I haven't seen it for a while. It might just be my cake pan that has the air cushion

Being observant and paying attention is free.

I acknowledge that some equiment is nice but geez, spray some pam (or similar) on a pan, set the timer and wait. Some things you can muti-task but this takes 10 minutes. And the aroma after the first 5-6 minutes, heavenly. Save your shekels for good unbleached flour :)

Last edited:
I tried these today - pretty good! I think I might like to try an onion roll / hamburger bun next.

bNfNxRjMHPdzWFSzYByxQdXZaffVSQ1TN3otXD1uzks=w1769-h996-no

uikeUeUKQagjZtKOE2r5j2rV50j2gcRFSjwDNH9QrdI=w1769-h996-no

B8uru11CAOFKUsMOnfv4WJY8n83NzJAmkyQatW_M8Yw=w1769-h996-no

Cg5yyXEwMNbDKwG0RU1OJ2D7La8p-03NdOelq4h7jmA=w1769-h996-no

8TsXjc7gYUPrSIifT6Jc6AOGyH49VCzaiom4lSnp7hM=w1769-h996-no

9FvcBGtJizg_q7MfC3L7ikIZhmcSDDAkfKMLeJKd--8=w1769-h996-no

ddfIpv8s-pkZmmnwuOkZggkRqwqOeIKrqrS98-o-D1o=w1769-h996-no

Onion rolls will work but hamburg buns: not with that recipe Clint. It'll make them too tough to bite through (one layer is hard to bite through, two will destroy the innards). I'll try to post one I use tomorrow.

If your rolls are browning too much on the bottom, you can either move them up a level in the oven or try double-panng them. This will probably take the place of the air cushioned pans and you probably already have more sheet pans to use. Love those sheet pans; I use them for so much.....trays, sheet pan dinners, pan pizzas, cookie bars, spreading out chicken parts before dry-brining and/or seasoning them, putting foods onto them when cleaning out my refrigerator, carrying grilling/barbecuing ingredients & tools out the the grill/WSM, moving excess paperwork from my desk.....

Rita

Last edited:

Back