Should I upgrade to the GrillGrates???

GeorgeG

TVWBB Member
According to my previous post, it appears that upgrading my EP310 and adding the Sear Burner is not a preferred move. The consensus seems to be that it is not that great and probably not worth the $$.

So, my question is this;

Should I replace my SS grates with the GrillGrates?

I have stainless steel grates on my gasser (not a Weber) and I have a set of Grill Grates I sometimes use on my Performer charcoal grill.

I would not spend the money - frankly, the stainless grates on my gasser works just fine and I would suspect that Weber's are at least as good.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I use Grill Grates on all my cookers with the exception of my WSM. When I put a nice steak on, say on my Genesis, I can put the steak on and just walk away. No worry's about flair ups burning up my steak (I grill steak with the lid open) and the flavor I get from the Grill Grates is second to none. I suggest you go to their web sit and check them out. Here's wishing you the best. Good luck and good cooking.

Bill

Last edited:
I would get the grill grates...they don't replace your grates you have though, they sit on top of the grates you already have...

also, if you have a Weber kettle or other charcoal grill, you can get them the correct size so you can use the grill grates on both your charcoal grill and your Genesis

I have 3 grill grate panels in my genesis that replace the originals and not sit on top of the existing grate. Just started using them and so far like them. Here's my set up. Oh, I've used both sides for grilling different things. [/URL]bucket.com/user/nightriderrr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140628_141947.jpg.html]
20140628_141947.jpg
[/URL]

Basically makes a Weber in to a Charbroil.
OP you have about a 35k BTU grill the model with sear burner adds another 10k btu burner. You could very easily (though not for the faint of heart) "adjust" the orifice sizes on one or two burners (I would do left and middle or right and middle) slightly to give you another 10k btu total giving yourself a "searing zone" and pretty much accomplish the same result as the more expensive Genesis. Frankly I fail to see why Weber just didn't do this rather than add that 4th burner which IMO was kind of a dumb way to do it.
The orifices are easy to find at most heating supply stores, they can size it/them for you and you're off to the "races".

Basically makes a Weber in to a Charbroil.
OP you have about a 35k BTU grill the model with sear burner adds another 10k btu burner. You could very easily (though not for the faint of heart) "adjust" the orifice sizes on one or two burners (I would do left and middle or right and middle) slightly to give you another 10k btu total giving yourself a "searing zone" and pretty much accomplish the same result as the more expensive Genesis. Frankly I fail to see why Weber just didn't do this rather than add that 4th burner which IMO was kind of a dumb way to do it.
The orifices are easy to find at most heating supply stores, they can size it/them for you and you're off to the "races".

I'm not sure I follow you. Forgive me, I'm "having a moment". What part of the burner tube are you modifying?

Not modifying any part of the burner tube. Simply open 2 orifices up slightly VERY slightly to increase BTU on 2 burners. Either left or right. I would not recommend allowing more max BTU than the Genesis with a sear burner. IIRC the 330 has 3 main burners at 36k total (12k each) and one 10k making a total of 46k BTU with 4 burners on. So I would open 2 orifices up to allow an additional 5k BTU each. Now you have one side of the grill which gets hotter but no need for an additional burner. Only downside is when you're doing a lower slower cook you'll need to adjust the 2 modified ones a little lower setting on the dial is all. The only time the extra BTU will actually show up is when those 2 burners are on full tilt.

Not modifying any part of the burner tube. Simply open 2 orifices up slightly VERY slightly to increase BTU on 2 burners.

I'm a noob, and don't know much, but I would think twice about mucking with the burner orifices unless you really know what you are doing.

And most folks that know how to do it aren't asking on a forum like this!

Just my $0.02, and the OP can judge for himself...

- Tom in SoCal

Back