Baby Back Ribs

D Badger

icon_confused.gif
I tried ribs my first cook on 18.5, and cooked on lump for 3.5 hours. The meat had pulled back nicely and done through out. The only trouble was they were tough not tender at all. Is there a temp I should have to pull them or did I not leave on long enough? Any advise would be great as I am going to cook on kingsford tomorrow instead of lump. Thanks guys and have a great weekend with good Q to everyone!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You need to test them for tender by sticking a probe or skewer in the meat between two middle bones. If the item goes in with little to no resistance, the ribs are done. No particular temp. Did you foil at all? If not, and if you cooked low/slow in the 225-250 range they were probably not cooked long enough.
Just for reference, because I'm no guru, yesterday I smoked baby backs at 275 for about 2.25 hours, then foiled with just a tad of apple juice for about 20 minutes. They were the best I've ever done. I just throw this out there. You might try it once to see if you like them. Do test for tender before you pull them

I agree with Dave/G on the 275. I've found that some of the best Qr's in the business cook their ribs at 275. Johnny Trigg, Paul Kirk, Harry So and more so I that's the temp I use and I get consistantly good results at that temp.
The Mrs doesn't like the texture the ribs take on when foiled so I cook without it.
Here's what I do: Prep and rub the ribs. Throw them in your pit at 275. Leave alone for 2 hours then baste with a sprayer filled with 80% apple juice/20% Jim Beam whiskey (I also rotate position in my pit for more even cooking). At 3 hour mark I baste again and rotate. Also check the temp between the bones with an instant read thermometer. If it's in the 190-200 range I sauce them and let set up in the pit for another 15-20 mins. If they're in the 180's they'll cook for another 30 mins until they're in the 190-200 range then sauce and set.
The 190-200 range produces the doneness my family likes so you will need to find the doneness through experimentation that your family likes.
180 temp range produces a juicier rib but not as tender as the 190 range. The 200 range is approaching pulled pork stage and will be difficult to cut cleanly. Mostly they will crumble into pulled pork if you venture too far into the 200 range like 205 and above.
Good luck!

wsmsmile8gm.gif
Thanks alot! I have alot to learn and sure do apreciate the help. I followed the directions on a brisket I cooked two weeks ago on this site. Anyone would be proud to say they cooked that brisket as family raved about how tender and juicy it was. I sure am glad I found this site and got my WSM. I am doing the ribs again today. Thanks again to all.

I just did 6 racks of baby backs yesterday. 4 racks on a rib rack up top, 2 on the the lower grate. Fired it up using the MM, cooked at 235 for 5 1/2 hours. Took the bottoms off first (surprising because usually bottoms take longer). All 6 came out awesome.

I did 4 racks of baby backs yesterday. cooked at 300-325 for 3 hours, came out fantastic as well. I like to do BBs hotter and a little faster than spares since they are not as fatty nor as large.

Back