Brisket question

David Collier

TVWBB Fan
Okay, I have smoked several, and like to Q slow-n-long. Usually do not foil until about 190 and let rest. Tonight, I lost control of my temps. They hit 280 and I was trying to keep at 250 or below. I have added COLD H2O to the pan, even took apart the WSM, removed a dozen or so hot coals. Can not get the temp below 290. (Minion method with all bottom vents closed. I am in my 7th hour, and when I placed first probe in the brisket, it went in like butter! It reads 159. Do I just foil, let it stay on til 190 or so, or if it feels like butter, do I take it off, rest it and eat it???? Thanks for advice!

You may want to stick it in a few places to make sure most of it is like butter. It seems strange that it would be 'done' in a short time and showing a low temp.

If the temp gets away from you like that, close the top vent a bit. Also don't drive yourself crazy on temp watching...sometimes it will spike up for a short while; no harm in that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Letourneau:
You may want to stick it in a few places to make sure most of it is like butter. It seems strange that it would be 'done' in a short time and showing a low temp.

If the temp gets away from you like that, close the top vent a bit. Also don't drive yourself crazy on temp watching...sometimes it will spike up for a short while; no harm in that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with John.

David, how big was the brisket?

The idea is when it gets too hot close the air off more and wait. The more doors you open the more air the coals get and the hotter it gets.
This slow cooking, so just take your time with the adjustmens too.

Thanks all. Larry, they were both 8 lbs. First time I have ever had that problem,,,,,after an hour I got the temps back down below 250. They came off 3 hours later and were done! In fact, they were pretty good, no complaints from the family and friends.
I think they had very little fat, and just maybe they cooked more quickly because of less fat, not sure...

Back