Adding smoke flavor to dips, etc.

Carl H.

TVWBB Super Fan
Liquid smoke is disappointing compared to most anything made in the WSM. What are some of the better ways to add smoke flavor to recipes that would benefit from the flavor but can't be smoked directly?

Go buy a box of kosher salt and pour 1/2 of it on to a baking sheet evenly. Put on the smoker around 180-200 with hickory or mesquite for a few hrs. Store in glass jar. Crushes liquid smoke

Don't sell Wright's Liquid Smoke short...it has very good flavor and we still make a "salmon ball" that calls for Wright's in it and it's AWESOME! I know that a lot of people here frown on liquid smoke, but sometimes you work with what you've got....

Carl,

Next time you are smoking something else, toss a peeled, quartered onion and some peppers (bell, jalapeno, etc) into your smoker near the end of your cook. Let them go so at the end of your cook. Allow them to go for an hour or so. Allow those to cool, chop them up, and store in your freezer. Most dips use those ingredients so you can just add some to the recipe next time you make your favorite. You could also smoke a block of cheese and grate that into your dip...

Regards,

John

there are some very good ideas here! I had some chili today (I didn't cook it) that had the beef, onions... ....and something else? smoked. The chili was delicious, some of the best I've had I think, and there was a slight chipotle taste.

I use liquid smoke for jerky (still haven't done it on the WSM), fry sauce (1 part ketchup to 4 parts mayo, add pepper etc), and sometimes even in tuna for tuna sandwiches (canned).

I REALLY like the Kosher salt idea...... I'll be trying that soon.

Back