Holding pork butts for 10 hours: effect on meat quality?

Bradley Bruns

TVWBB Fan
Next weekend I'm cooking pulled pork for a family gathering. 4 butts. 6 hour drive.

Option #1: Cook in advance, vac-pack, reheat on site

Option #2: Cook overnight, foil and pack in hot cooler around 9:00 AM, drive 6 hours, put in oven if needed, then pull and eat around 7:00PM. That's 10 hours holding time. With 4 butts, a pre-heated cooler, warmed firebricks, and remote thermometer, I'm confident I can keep the surface temps above 130.

My question is: will a 10 hour hold have negative effects on the meat quality?

I can't speak to the hold time, but would say that you would be fine with option 1. I normally cook the butts a day or two before, then reheat day of. Honestly, I think that the pulled pork is better a day or two after anyways. Also, I tent my butts for the last 4-6 hours of the cook with pineapple juice, so when they are done you get some wonderful renderings that you can add to the pulled pork when you reheat it so it won't dry out the next day. Just my .02

In my opinion, no question Option 1. Use a little finishing sauce and you'll be golden.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bradley Bruns:
My question is: will a 10 hour hold have negative effects on the meat quality? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, holding the meat that long, the quality of the meat will suffer. I think you run the risk of ending up with mush for meat. I do option 1 all the time, turns out great.

Back